You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Should I erase both containers for a factory reset ?

Intel w Big Sur

I am doing a factory reset to sell and erased the Macintosh HD Volume Group but I noticed when I went back in and 'viewed all devices' that there is also a CONTAINER DISK2 showing MacinstoshHD and a capacity of 121GB but only 51GB available space (which tells me there is still data stored on the machine somewhere)

Question is: should I do also go through the process and erase the Macintosh HD in this Container Disk2 as well before 'reinstalling the OS'?

I just want everything erased and gone as if it was a brand new laptop.

Thanks~

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Jun 29, 2022 4:47 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 29, 2022 5:38 PM

Follow these instructions: Erase and reformat a storage device in Disk Utility on Mac - Apple Support.

Pay attention to Step 4. "The device" in its context refers to the entire storage device, meaning not a volume or partition subordinate to that device.

The accompanying illustration indicates it as the Internal storage device. Erasing it will erase all Containers within it. That's what you want to do.

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 29, 2022 5:38 PM in response to livfit

Follow these instructions: Erase and reformat a storage device in Disk Utility on Mac - Apple Support.

Pay attention to Step 4. "The device" in its context refers to the entire storage device, meaning not a volume or partition subordinate to that device.

The accompanying illustration indicates it as the Internal storage device. Erasing it will erase all Containers within it. That's what you want to do.

Should I erase both containers for a factory reset ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.