Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is OpenCL deprecated in macOS? The Apple Developer OpenCL page doesn't make that clear, but some claim it is no longer supported.

OpenCL for macOS - Apple Developer

doesn't seem to suggest that OpenCL doesn't work on macOS anymore, especially this page (Mac computers that use OpenCL and OpenGL graphics – Apple Support (AU)) that list the Macs they say do, but this page Why is Apple killing OpenCL functionality… - Apple Community says that Catalina Security Update 2021-002 has killed (dropped support for) OpenCL without warning.

I'm not using Catalina any more. I'm on MacOS Monterey 12.4 (reportedly the last macOS that will run on my late-2013 Mac Pro), but various software developers seem not to develop for macOS or Apple computers, claiming that Apple doesn't support things like OpenCL.

Mac Pro, macOS 12.4

Posted on Jun 29, 2022 8:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 29, 2022 9:00 PM

OpenCL was deprecated in macOS 10.14.

From OpenCL for macOS - Apple Developer

Migration documentation: Apple Developer Documentation

And then there’s this:

One of the alternatives to Metal directly can be Vulkan on Metal: https://moltengl.com/moltenvk/

6 replies

Jun 30, 2022 9:11 AM in response to iangreen

iangreen wrote:

The conclusion I can come to is that ignorance is the reason that some developers, of software such as GPU mining software don't support macOS and Apple hardware, and write only for Linux and Windows, or if they do, they don't use the necessary frameworks required to get comparable performance when running on macOS.

For Apple’s published guidelines for this whole area, on-device cryptocurrency hash-guessing (“mining”, in the jargon) is specifically forbidden. See 2.4.2 and 3.1.5 in the App Store Guidelines for details.

Proof-of-work and its integral hash-guessing is a wildly power-inefficient design, and those involved in hash-guessing purchase their hardware based on raw hash-guessing rates, and operating that hardware based on power costs, all while avoiding areas where hash-guessers might be subject to prosecution as is a possibility in various jurisdictions. (Nobody has yet gotten proof-of-stake deployed at any scale, either.)

Discussions of support for OpenCL or Vulkan or other frameworks aside, Apple hardware is not now and never has been price-competitive at high hash-guessing rates. In recent years, Apple specifically targets performance with power efficiency with Apple silicon, and which is not what hash-guessers want.

For those interested and unfamiliar with this area, the video Line Goes Up — The Problem With NFTs is a good starting point for understanding.

Jun 29, 2022 8:27 PM in response to iangreen

Here is another example of a page where the status of OpenCL on macOS is questioned.

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/6728991/#Comment_6728991

• still having this issue as well. For me it started on Apirl 30th 2021. It worked fine on the 29th.
  • I'm having the same issue. Apple deprecated OpenCL a while back, and if I remember correctly it was never available in Catalina via the AMD GPUs; only the CPU based OpenCL implementation was available. It's possible they removed it as part of a security update so they didn't have to patch it - but I've no inside info to confirm this. 
  •  OpenCL still shows as a registered framework on my machine
  • how can one check this? ...
  • actually managed to get dforce working again on the internal graphics NOT the CPU ...  it was suggested that you install the software NOT as a main administrator, but as a user with admin rights. ... can now use dforce on the internal graphics NOT the CPU. The CPU still shows the same error message . ...

Jun 29, 2022 10:38 PM in response to iangreen

iangreen wrote:

The conclusion I can come to is that ignorance is the reason that some developers, of software such as GPU mining software don't support macOS and Apple hardware, and write only for Linux and Windows, or if they do, they don't use the necessary frameworks required to get comparable performance when running on macOS.

There is a shocking level of ignorance in the developer community to any Apple developments in the past 10 years.

However, I think crypto-mining is one market area where that would not apply. Something as raw quantitative as that doesn’t need the qualitative benefits of the Mac. They don’t care about the energy efficiency either. I’ve seen some stories recently about miners dumping their old GPUs on the used market.

If you want cross-market compatibility in the consumer market, stick with OpenCL and OpenGL because the Mac is only 10% of the market. But on the other hand, if you want that 10x larger iPhone market, you need Metal, and you get the Mac market for a discount.

Is OpenCL deprecated in macOS? The Apple Developer OpenCL page doesn't make that clear, but some claim it is no longer supported.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.