Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to disable the shift-key login item bypass?

As we know, holding down the shift-key before returning one's login credentials bypasses one's login items. This is very useful, but also poses a security risk. Many website/app blockers act as login items to block content from the moment a user logs in. Is there any way of removing the shift-key trick? Or at least adding extra security to it?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.4

Posted on Jun 30, 2022 4:39 AM

Similar questions

8 replies

Jun 30, 2022 1:46 PM in response to kiiron0kit

There aren’t many good technical solutions to human behavior problems. That’s why social engineering is so effective.

Anything you could do to disable the shift Key would be easily re-enabled by you.

You need to have someone else be the administrator of your computer without you, knowing the credentials, and then have them set up your account as standard with screen time restrictions.

Jun 30, 2022 1:56 PM in response to Barney-15E

Pardon me, but one last try. The program I use blocks access to itself, System Preferences, Activity Monitor, and the Terminal. The password I have on it is very long and ambiguous, and would also require some brute-forcing since I think maybe one or two of the characters are wrong. That's fine. But theoretically, if this one shift-key option was disabled, that would make everything pretty airtight--especially since I'm too lazy to research the wizardry that would be required to get around my own system once its in place.

I appreciate your obvious patience.

Jun 30, 2022 2:19 PM in response to kiiron0kit

The whole idea of using Shift at startup to isolate the OS from Third Party Applications, extensions etc.

To load only the bear minimum of the required Apple Daemons as required for the computer to function.

In so doing identifying if there is some Third Party Application or extension causing issues.

I fail to see this as a Security Issue especially if some Third Party " Bad Actor Software is loading on a cold boot up

How to disable the shift-key login item bypass?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.