Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Health App and Watch. For a 70 year old male who cycles

A couple of nits that I can’t seem to resolve.

first— why won’t the Watch track VO2 max for cycling? It does for outdoor walking, running but contrast a Garmin, won’t handle for cycling.

second— the VO2 max shows fitness levels based on age. But seems to top out for 60 year olds. Having just hit 70 years of age, I’m keen to track a that age cohort. Am I missing something?

Apple Watch Series 7

Posted on Jun 30, 2022 6:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 1, 2022 1:12 AM

The only workout types that produce a VO2Max figure are;

outdoor running and walking and hiking.

And VO2Max isn't based on age,my neighbour is in his 80's and he checks his figure on a regular basis.

Apple says;

Your Apple Watch gives you a cardio fitness ESTIMATE by measuring how hard your heart is working during an outdoor walk, run or hike.

To estimate your cardio fitness level, your Apple Watch also takes into account your:

Sex

Weight

Height

Medications that may affect your heart rate

It can take at least 24 hours wearing your Apple Watch, followed by several workouts and passive measurements with your Apple Watch before you receive an initial ESTIMATE.

Certain conditions or medications that limit your heart rate may cause an overestimation of your VO2 max.

Are VO2 max predictions accurate?

The relationship between heart rate and VO2 max is not precise, and it varies from one individual to another. So Apple’s predicted VO2 max may not be very accurate. The estimate is also dependent upon your Apple Watch’s heart rate sensor. And while that’s pretty good, it is not infallible.

VO2 max relates to maximal exertion. So you’ll need to log a pretty intensive workout to generate a reading. And you’ll need to sustain it for at least 20 minutes.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 1, 2022 1:12 AM in response to AUSEXPAT

The only workout types that produce a VO2Max figure are;

outdoor running and walking and hiking.

And VO2Max isn't based on age,my neighbour is in his 80's and he checks his figure on a regular basis.

Apple says;

Your Apple Watch gives you a cardio fitness ESTIMATE by measuring how hard your heart is working during an outdoor walk, run or hike.

To estimate your cardio fitness level, your Apple Watch also takes into account your:

Sex

Weight

Height

Medications that may affect your heart rate

It can take at least 24 hours wearing your Apple Watch, followed by several workouts and passive measurements with your Apple Watch before you receive an initial ESTIMATE.

Certain conditions or medications that limit your heart rate may cause an overestimation of your VO2 max.

Are VO2 max predictions accurate?

The relationship between heart rate and VO2 max is not precise, and it varies from one individual to another. So Apple’s predicted VO2 max may not be very accurate. The estimate is also dependent upon your Apple Watch’s heart rate sensor. And while that’s pretty good, it is not infallible.

VO2 max relates to maximal exertion. So you’ll need to log a pretty intensive workout to generate a reading. And you’ll need to sustain it for at least 20 minutes.

Apple Health App and Watch. For a 70 year old male who cycles

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.