Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using external SSD drive as Startup disk: Is Macintosh HD active too?

Mac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, 2019), Fusion Drive, 8GB became an irritant - poor performarmance for household work. Was advised to use a Startup disk in this case OWC EnvoyPro SX. I've smiling ever since! No hangups (a little only with Acrobat Reader upon opening)...but! 6 months in...was it Monterrey...my LaCie external SSD used for backup - for Time Machine - would'nt allow me in. Locked me out. Days later, Sophos was not registering activity. Work with Sophos tech seemd to indicate Macintosh HD had the Sophos AV files and not the Startup disk., and it was also creating a copy of files - Documents.

So, in this setup, is Macintosh still "working"? What's the SSD Startup disk doing? 3) What should I look for in terms of not having installed the SSD well, so that it would be the 'working horse', and not Macintosh HD? The "tree" for the iMac 4k is below. I'm running v 12.4 McOS Monterrey. Will appreciate your comments, advice, and information. Thanks!

iMac

Posted on Jun 30, 2022 9:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 1, 2022 4:56 AM

Q - " Days later, Sophos was not registering activity. Work with Sophos tech seemd to indicate Macintosh HD had the Sophos AV files and not the Startup disk ."

A - There are no known Windows-like Viruses in the wild that self replicate and affect macOS, because of the underling UNIX  Foundation and Permission Limitation. 

Additionally, and specific to Big Sur macOS 11 and Monterey macOS 12, the Operating System resides in a Sealed and Read Only Volume that can not be opened by the User or “ Bad Actor “ Software.

The Only thing this Antivirus software is protecting is the Bank Account of the Developers and for zero return to the User aside from the problems this software creates.

The The Built in Security  is all that is required to protect the computer.

Any Third Party Applications that will interfere with the normal operation of the OS, alter, modify, remove or delete or attempt to do so is an invitation for disaster and comprising the Operating System

Any of the below should be removed as per Developers Instructions 

Sophos Av Software

Suggest reading some of the many posting specific to this application.

There has been sufficient advise offered for the User to make an informed and educated choice what the next course of action is required.

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 1, 2022 4:56 AM in response to Joseo

Q - " Days later, Sophos was not registering activity. Work with Sophos tech seemd to indicate Macintosh HD had the Sophos AV files and not the Startup disk ."

A - There are no known Windows-like Viruses in the wild that self replicate and affect macOS, because of the underling UNIX  Foundation and Permission Limitation. 

Additionally, and specific to Big Sur macOS 11 and Monterey macOS 12, the Operating System resides in a Sealed and Read Only Volume that can not be opened by the User or “ Bad Actor “ Software.

The Only thing this Antivirus software is protecting is the Bank Account of the Developers and for zero return to the User aside from the problems this software creates.

The The Built in Security  is all that is required to protect the computer.

Any Third Party Applications that will interfere with the normal operation of the OS, alter, modify, remove or delete or attempt to do so is an invitation for disaster and comprising the Operating System

Any of the below should be removed as per Developers Instructions 

Sophos Av Software

Suggest reading some of the many posting specific to this application.

There has been sufficient advise offered for the User to make an informed and educated choice what the next course of action is required.

Jul 1, 2022 5:47 AM in response to Joseo

Mac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, 2019), Fusion Drive, 8GB became an irritant - poor performarmance for household work.
… Macintosh HD had the Sophos AV files and not the Startup disk …

Perhaps there is something related.

All third-party AV software is malware of the Trojan Horse type. It purports to protect you and your computer, but all it actually does is cause poor performance and irritation.

Jul 1, 2022 7:31 AM in response to ku4hx

Thank you so much for your reply, and the time: it is appreciated!

Q'n: can you direct me to a procedure on how to do that? I am an experienced user, but...erasing disks...sort of scary. And that would "unload" stuff that is not being used, right?

So, I should understand that the SSD is doing all the work, including the graphics, etc. i.e., the Macintosh HD is not doing anything? And of course, if it were, erasing it would make sure it isn't. Thank you!

Jul 3, 2022 7:00 PM in response to ku4hx

Hola!

Thank you for your information, suggestion.

Can you direct me to a link/site for the procedure to do that? i.e., erase and use for storage? I'd like to let the external OWC do the work, and not be worried over activity crossovers, interventions, etc. No? Thank you so much, [ku4hx]!

Using external SSD drive as Startup disk: Is Macintosh HD active too?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.