Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I'm using Catalina...I am failing to use/find detect and convert incompatible media in my iMovie libraries, I have MOV clips that are just black and only only the audio

I'm using Catalina (10.15.7) ...I am trying to edit footage, I have MOV clips that are just black and only only the audio but my I movie (10.2.5.) is failing to play/find detect and convert incompatible media in my iMovie libraries. any advice please, cheers from rory

Posted on Jul 1, 2022 4:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 1, 2022 9:16 AM

The feature File/Check for Incompatible Media no longer is available in iMovie 10.2.5 on Catalina. If the issue of videos displaying black is related to a legacy media issue, or incompatibility for another reason, you will need to convert the clips outside of iMovie and then import the converted clips.

The following link lists the formats that are incompatible with iMovie on Catalina and later:

About incompatible media in iMovie for macOS – Apple Support (AU)

You can use Handbrake to convert the incompatible media to Mp4/AAC.

You can get Handbrake here:

https://handbrake.fr/

A simple way to do it is to open Handbrake and do a File/Open Source. Navigate to your video and choose it as the source from the resulting screen. Then do File/Start Encoding. Wait a couple of minutes for the conversion to complete. Then save and import the converted clip into iMovie.

-- Rich

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 1, 2022 9:16 AM in response to roryfromhawick

The feature File/Check for Incompatible Media no longer is available in iMovie 10.2.5 on Catalina. If the issue of videos displaying black is related to a legacy media issue, or incompatibility for another reason, you will need to convert the clips outside of iMovie and then import the converted clips.

The following link lists the formats that are incompatible with iMovie on Catalina and later:

About incompatible media in iMovie for macOS – Apple Support (AU)

You can use Handbrake to convert the incompatible media to Mp4/AAC.

You can get Handbrake here:

https://handbrake.fr/

A simple way to do it is to open Handbrake and do a File/Open Source. Navigate to your video and choose it as the source from the resulting screen. Then do File/Start Encoding. Wait a couple of minutes for the conversion to complete. Then save and import the converted clip into iMovie.

-- Rich

I'm using Catalina...I am failing to use/find detect and convert incompatible media in my iMovie libraries, I have MOV clips that are just black and only only the audio

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.