Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Backup iPad air 4th generation to mac

Trying to backup new 2020 4th generation iPad air to an older mac.

Having difficulty getting the iPad to show up in iTunes

does on one computer

doesn’t on another

when it does show up

backup works about 4 seconds then error message pops up saying

backup failed because iPad disconnected

any experience / ideas

iPad Air 4 Wi-Fi, Cellular

Posted on Jul 1, 2022 6:52 AM

8 replies

Jul 1, 2022 7:43 AM in response to Pat Schaefer

All current iPad models are supplied with a USB-C Power Adapter. Your iPad Air4, with a USB-C port, will have been supplied with a USB-C to USB-C charging/data cable.

If you have an older Mac or PC that has only the older USB Type-A ports, you will need to purchase a USB Type-A to USB-C cable - these being readily available from good computer stores and Apple. Here is one example marketed by Apple:

• mophie USB-A Cable with USB-C Connector (1 m)

https://store.apple.com/uk/xc/product/HN892ZM/A

Jul 2, 2022 11:38 AM in response to Pat Schaefer

IT’S A BUG !

finally broke down and tried with my 2020 mac mini running Mojave 10.14

when I connected it said I needed to download a file to see the device (aka iTunes 12.8.2.3)

backed up iPad with iTunes, no problem, no Finder

unlike my mac mini 2010 running High Sierra 10.13

or

my late 2009 mac mini running El Capitan 10.11

THEY PROBABLY JUST c/ThunderBolt/USB C/*

AND CALLED IT A DAY

NO TESTING NEEDED.

Jul 1, 2022 9:59 AM in response to Pat Schaefer

What "older Mac" are you having an issue with? I recently got an iPad mini 6 and have been adjusting to using USB-C. I'm still doing all my backups to an older MacBook Pro with only USB-A ports. The quality of USB-C cables (USB-C/USB-C or USB-A/USB-A) is hit or miss but I found my best results with one cable that I got with a lighter plug adapter.

I use other cables (some cost less than $2) and there's no accounting for what works consistently.

Backup iPad air 4th generation to mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.