Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Best printer for MacBook Air

What is the best printer to use with MacBook Air? Canon advised that because my MX882 is an older model, they do not provide any support or driver. Printer in perfect condition except for updated driver! Will not buy Canon again.

MacBook Air

Posted on Jul 1, 2022 11:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 1, 2022 5:47 PM

You can check to see whether you can use the GutenPrint drivers as mentioned in this post:

can't get canon printer pima MX 882 serie… - Apple Community

It appears your printer is supported:

http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net/p_Supported_Printers.php

Another possible option are the CUPS drivers if the Gutenprint drivers don't work.

BTW, Canon is probably the best remaining inkjet printer manufacturer around. Keep in mind they have provided drivers for at least 12 years for this printer. It is because Apple keeps changing the underlying macOS framework that it becomes too difficult for a manufacturer to keep providing drivers every year for hundreds of different printer models. I would HP at all costs since HP will suddenly brick your printer with a firmware update if you are using third party ink. For a laser printer I personally like Brother these days (used to always use HP in the past).

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 1, 2022 5:47 PM in response to BB8918

You can check to see whether you can use the GutenPrint drivers as mentioned in this post:

can't get canon printer pima MX 882 serie… - Apple Community

It appears your printer is supported:

http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net/p_Supported_Printers.php

Another possible option are the CUPS drivers if the Gutenprint drivers don't work.

BTW, Canon is probably the best remaining inkjet printer manufacturer around. Keep in mind they have provided drivers for at least 12 years for this printer. It is because Apple keeps changing the underlying macOS framework that it becomes too difficult for a manufacturer to keep providing drivers every year for hundreds of different printer models. I would HP at all costs since HP will suddenly brick your printer with a firmware update if you are using third party ink. For a laser printer I personally like Brother these days (used to always use HP in the past).

Jul 1, 2022 11:57 AM in response to BB8918

Hi,

The models listed in About AirPrint - Apple Support support the AirPrint technology, and can thus be used with a macOS (Monterey) computer without the need for additional drivers, provided that the printer and the computer are connected to the same network (Wi-Fi router).

I suggest that you study the web sites from the major manufacturers in order to find an AirPrint printer that meets your requirements.

Best printer for MacBook Air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.