Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't select Airprint when setting up a new printer queue

I've got a Canon ImageClass LBP214dw printer. I can see and print to it with my iPhone 11 and with an older MacBook Pro running macOS 12.4. When I add the printer to that MacBook Pro it automatically populates with the AirPrint print driver and everything works fine.

Now with the newer MacBook Pro, I have macOS 12.4 on it. I installed the UFR II 10.19.11 Canon drivers from their site for the printer on the computer and now when I try to add that printer I get an error "Unable to communicate with the printer at this time." I am also not able to select the AirPrint print driver anymore on that computer. It seems to be missing from the list of selectable drivers! So if I select the LBP214 driver I get the previously listed error and the queue doesn't work.

Does anyone have a suggestion for me to try or does anyone know of a way to get that AirPrint print driver available to select when adding a printer?

Thanks in advance.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.4

Posted on Jul 1, 2022 5:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 2, 2022 7:04 AM

Hi,

As you already know, the Canon LBP214dw is a supported AirPrint model.

About AirPrint - Apple Support

This means that you should be able to use the newer MacBook Pro without any drivers from the printer manufacturer, provided that the printer and the computer are connected to the same network (Wi-Fi router). AirPrint works with wired (Ethernet) and wireless network connections.

If necessary, try to reset the printing system, and re-add the printer using AirPrint.

Reset the printing system on your Mac to solve a problem – Apple Support (UK)

Add a printer to your printer list so you can use it on Mac – Apple Support (UK)

Do not use the printer's USB port.

In case of difficulties with AirPrint, and if the setup is OK, a problem with the router not correctly discovering/registering/detecting one or more devices can be suspected. If so, you could try the following procedure (in the exact order):

Power off the Wi-Fi router, the printer, both MacBook Pro computers, the iPhone 11, and all other devices/computers. Wait two to three minutes. Power on the router. Wait two to three minutes. Power on the printer. Wait a minute or two. Power on both MacBook Pro computers and the iPhone 11. Finally, power on all other devices/computers.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 2, 2022 7:04 AM in response to ddanis

Hi,

As you already know, the Canon LBP214dw is a supported AirPrint model.

About AirPrint - Apple Support

This means that you should be able to use the newer MacBook Pro without any drivers from the printer manufacturer, provided that the printer and the computer are connected to the same network (Wi-Fi router). AirPrint works with wired (Ethernet) and wireless network connections.

If necessary, try to reset the printing system, and re-add the printer using AirPrint.

Reset the printing system on your Mac to solve a problem – Apple Support (UK)

Add a printer to your printer list so you can use it on Mac – Apple Support (UK)

Do not use the printer's USB port.

In case of difficulties with AirPrint, and if the setup is OK, a problem with the router not correctly discovering/registering/detecting one or more devices can be suspected. If so, you could try the following procedure (in the exact order):

Power off the Wi-Fi router, the printer, both MacBook Pro computers, the iPhone 11, and all other devices/computers. Wait two to three minutes. Power on the router. Wait two to three minutes. Power on the printer. Wait a minute or two. Power on both MacBook Pro computers and the iPhone 11. Finally, power on all other devices/computers.

Jul 21, 2022 11:26 AM in response to ddanis

In case someone else ever has a similar problem I was able to fix this issue. I went into the /Library/Printers directory and deleted the Canon folder. I then reinstalled the latest drivers for this printer and the computer was able to see and add the printer without issue. I did restart after removing the drivers before installing the new drivers. There must have been file corruption with the canon printer drivers at some point.

Can't select Airprint when setting up a new printer queue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.