Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

default FTP application?

Some weeks ago, when I did "Connect to Server" and connected with FTP or SFTP, my Mac automatically launched the default FTP application, which in my case was Fetch. For some reason, it no longer does that, and I have to open Fetch manually. According to Fetch preferences, it is, in fact, the default FTP application. How do I get my Mac to automatically open that default application when I Connect to Server?

Monterey 12.3.

iMac, OS X 10.11

Posted on Jul 2, 2022 6:45 AM

Similar questions

7 replies

Jul 2, 2022 7:03 AM in response to Dannymac22

Dannymac22 wrote:

Some weeks ago, when I did "Connect to Server" and connected with FTP or SFTP, my Mac automatically launched the default FTP application, which in my case was Fetch. For some reason, it no longer does that, and I have to open Fetch manually. According to Fetch preferences, it is, in fact, the default FTP application. How do I get my Mac to automatically open that default application when I Connect to Server?

Monterey 12.3.

What is the bigger picture here...(?)

what kind of server, where, what purpose maybe this will be revealing...local, remote(?)

What is your exact and current macOS?

Things always are changing including the latest 12.4 update

I interact with a lot of remote servers using Fetch, but I have never used the Command K to initiate a connection.

Connect your Mac to shared computers and servers - Apple Support

Connect your Mac to shared computers and servers

Fetch has excellent customer support:

Fetch Support - Fetch Softworks

The current stable release of Monterey including bug fixes, is macOS 12.4

Keep your Mac up to date - Apple Support

Keep your Mac up to date - Apple Support

Jul 2, 2022 7:18 AM in response to Dannymac22

Dannymac22 wrote:

The server is HostGator, but I think that's not really relevant to the question. It isn't Hostgator that is preventing my default FTP application from opening. I said explicitly that my current OS is 12.3.

Uh, actually, it's now 12.4. As I said, Fetch always used to open automatically, but now it doesn't. Something changed. I want to change it back.

This is the first report I have ever heard for this issue.

Maybe your 12,4 update broke your "open automatically, but now it doesn't"... this is hard to pinpoint a cause & effect. or your resolve...

consider these rhetorical then— and please ignore all clarification questions in an effort to gain some insight

You do not say if the there a a proprietary text editor involved(?)

You do not say how are you initiate "Connect to Server" (?)

If in doubt search the developers website or contact: Support/Help/FAQ/Known issues/compatibility/Updates

Fetch Support - Fetch Softworks

you can File a bug report here submit your Apple Feedback Product Feedback - Apple

Call Customer Support (800) MY–APPLE (800–692–7753)

or on line Apple Support

Jul 2, 2022 7:02 AM in response to leroydouglas

The server is HostGator, but I think that's not really relevant to the question. It isn't Hostgator that is preventing my default FTP application from opening. I said explicitly that my current OS is 12.3. Uh, actually, it's now 12.4. As I said, Fetch always used to open automatically, but now it doesn't. Something changed. I want to change it back.

Jul 2, 2022 7:25 AM in response to leroydouglas

How I initiate "Connect to Server"? Just pull down the "Go" menu on the on the menubar. That should be pretty obvious. Proprietary text editor? What does a text editor have to do with connecting to a server? Again, this is something that used to work transparently. It doesn't anymore. I'm suspecting that something just got changed. Where in the Mac OS prefs are default applications identified? It's clear how to do it for browsers, mail, and file types, but this is different.

Jul 2, 2022 10:51 AM in response to Dannymac22

Where in the Mac OS prefs are default applications identified?

It's buried in the LaunchServices database which is not accessible (at least not simply).

You set default Applications to handle file types in Get Info in the Finder.

Network services are set using the Apps that handle the protocols. So, I imagine if that somehow worked in the past, it was some setting in Fetch.

Jul 2, 2022 11:02 AM in response to Dannymac22

There is a command you can send via Terminal to delete and rebuild the database. You'd have to search the internet for it. I have no idea if it still works or if the versions used on older OS versions would cause any problems. You're going to have to research that.

If there is a way to turn that off in Fetch, then turn it back on, that may rewrite the association.

My guess would be since Apple doesn't really support plain ftp, they dumped any handling of the protocol.

default FTP application?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.