Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud storage Documents folder

There is Apple advice that, in order to save storage on e.g. MacBook Pro internal drive you move files to iCloud Documents folder. This does not seem to improve the situation. Despite having 1.9TB iCloud storage space, attempting to store a folder there, rather than on the MBP Desktop, produces the error, insufficient space. Going to Storage/Manage provides a graphic of the Macintosh HD that shows a Documents folder packed with files that should be only on iCloud (see attached screenshot).

Confused, is there a definitive document that explains how to actually store in iCloud Drive, as opposed to sync?

Thank you!

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jul 3, 2022 4:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 3, 2022 5:05 AM

iCloud is primarily a synchronization service. If you elect to optimize Mac storage, your oldest/largest documents may be offloaded to the cloud only should space become necessary. If space frees on your device, those documents may be downloaded again.

System Preferences > Apple ID > iCloud

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 3, 2022 5:05 AM in response to iancreative

iCloud is primarily a synchronization service. If you elect to optimize Mac storage, your oldest/largest documents may be offloaded to the cloud only should space become necessary. If space frees on your device, those documents may be downloaded again.

System Preferences > Apple ID > iCloud

Jul 7, 2022 10:52 AM in response to iancreative

I am having this same issue and my storage says there is only 19gb remaining out of my mac partition of 600gbs. I am waiting for it to push these large files and folders to the cloud to relieve my storage issues, but it has not done this in over a week. I am worried that I have spent much of my time transferring files from my Google Drive only to be disappointed with the performance of iCloud's optimization of my files.

iCloud storage Documents folder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.