Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Change Firmware Password intel MBP

I want to change the Firmware Password on an intel MBP and am following Set a firmware password on your Mac - Apple Support:

1. I hold down Command+R to boot into recovery mode and then enter the firmware password when prompted, on the lock icon screen.
  2. After I enter the firmware password, I get the apple logo and starting bar and then it takes me to the macOS Recovery screen where it asks for the Recovery Key.
  3. After I enter the recovery key the only options it redirects me to are to either Reset Password or Exit to Recovery.
  4. I don't want to reset the password for the mac os user. I want to change the firmware password but the utilities window is not appearing for me to choose Startup Security Utility or Firmware Password Utility.

How do I change the firmware password?

Posted on Jul 3, 2022 7:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 3, 2022 8:31 AM

What is the exact model of your Mac and version of macOS on it (and the version of macOS you are booting in Recovery Mode as it may be different than what is installed on the internal drive)? You can get this information by clicking the Apple menu and selecting "About This Mac" when booting the Mac normally.

On the password reset screen, is there a button or link option to "Exit" or "Restart" at the bottom of that window? I know when this screen comes up automatically when booting macOS normally, that selecting this option will allow the Mac to continue past this screen (or restarts so the next time this screen is not displayed). I'm not sure if the same thing will happen with Recovery Mode.

Have you tried booting into Internet Recovery Mode using Command + Option + R to see if it makes any difference?

If you cannot get into recovery mode, then you will need to take the laptop to an Apple Store or an Apple Authorized Service Provider along with acceptable proof of purchase & personal ID so Apple/AASP can remove the firmware lock for you. I recommend calling ahead to determine what Apple/AASP will accept as acceptable proof of purchase & ID.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 3, 2022 8:31 AM in response to belcantoCali

What is the exact model of your Mac and version of macOS on it (and the version of macOS you are booting in Recovery Mode as it may be different than what is installed on the internal drive)? You can get this information by clicking the Apple menu and selecting "About This Mac" when booting the Mac normally.

On the password reset screen, is there a button or link option to "Exit" or "Restart" at the bottom of that window? I know when this screen comes up automatically when booting macOS normally, that selecting this option will allow the Mac to continue past this screen (or restarts so the next time this screen is not displayed). I'm not sure if the same thing will happen with Recovery Mode.

Have you tried booting into Internet Recovery Mode using Command + Option + R to see if it makes any difference?

If you cannot get into recovery mode, then you will need to take the laptop to an Apple Store or an Apple Authorized Service Provider along with acceptable proof of purchase & personal ID so Apple/AASP can remove the firmware lock for you. I recommend calling ahead to determine what Apple/AASP will accept as acceptable proof of purchase & ID.

Jul 3, 2022 9:59 AM in response to HWTech

Thank you @HWTech, After I entered the Recovery Key, on the popup that says "Unlock succeeded. Do you want to reset you password?", the 2 options are: Reset Password and Exit to Recovery. I had not trying clicking on Exit as I thought that it would just take me right back to the Recovery Key entry screen. I did this time to try your suggestion and voila, the menu options for Startup Security Utility appeared. Don't I feel brilliant.. thank you so much for indulging me :)

Change Firmware Password intel MBP

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.