Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I retrieve a text message I accidentally deleted by accidentally

Cani Retrieve a text message that I accidentally deleted on my apple iPhone

iPhone 7 Plus, iOS 15

Posted on Jul 3, 2022 8:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 3, 2022 9:04 AM

go to Settings > [your name] > iCloud and check the switch position for Messages

If the switch is ON, then you cannot recover your deleted messages and they are not contained in an iPhone backup

(no need to read any further, supporting link below)

Backup methods for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

If the switch is OFF, then you might be able to recover your messages IF you have an iPhone backup that contains the messages you are trying to recover. In which case you'd need to restore your iPhone to that backup. In doing so, you'd likely lose some data between now and whenever your backup occurred.

Locate backups of your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch from a backup - Apple Support

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 3, 2022 9:04 AM in response to CtwMaw

go to Settings > [your name] > iCloud and check the switch position for Messages

If the switch is ON, then you cannot recover your deleted messages and they are not contained in an iPhone backup

(no need to read any further, supporting link below)

Backup methods for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

If the switch is OFF, then you might be able to recover your messages IF you have an iPhone backup that contains the messages you are trying to recover. In which case you'd need to restore your iPhone to that backup. In doing so, you'd likely lose some data between now and whenever your backup occurred.

Locate backups of your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch from a backup - Apple Support

Jul 3, 2022 9:05 AM in response to CtwMaw

Do you know when you deleted the message?

We ask because if for example the message was on your iPhone on June 26 and you deleted the message on June 27, the June 27 back up......assuming the Messages are being backing up......would have picked up the deletion, so the message would not be found on any subsequent backups.

The bottom line.......a backup only keeps a current copy of the data on your iPhone. It does not keep a history of the data on your iPhone. Delete something on the iPhone and the next backup reflect that.

Can I retrieve a text message I accidentally deleted by accidentally

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.