Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Replacement MacBook Air Battery drains excessivly while shut down

Folk,

I recently had to replace the original battery of my MacBook Air (13-inch, 2017), which is running Monterey 12.4.

I obviously took it to the only place I would trust with this work, my local Apple Store.

The change was as expected, and I walked away thrilled that it was done albeit painlessly, even though I had to pay for the replacement - which is not my concern.

Like most batteries, it was not fully charged, so I received a battery that needed to be completely charged. I left it plugged in for about 2.5 hours until it reached full capacity, at which point I shut the machine down, and put it away. About 5 days later when I went to use the laptop, I discovered the battery was completely dead.

I considered it an anomaly and didn't give it too much thought - so I recharged the battery to 100% again, and once more put it away, this time for about 2 weeks. Only to once again discover the battery was completely drained.

I contacted the Genius Bar and brought the MBA back in, explained my situation and left it for their diagnosis and repair. Initially they suggested that it was possible that the laptop was not completely shutting down, and that there may be a need to wipe out the drive, to make certain that it was not an application that was preventing the machine from truly shutting down. Once more they shipped the laptop to their service center, and decided to replace the battery a second time, on the 90 day warranty of the first replacement, without having to wipe it clean.

I now have the machine back in my possession, and it appears the problem has not been corrected. So to make certain that I did not have a software/driver conflict, I decided to wipe it clean and run some tests against the new battery and new OS installation.

Earlier today I charged the battery until the indicator read 100% and the light on the charger had changed to green. With the charger plugged in I completely shut down the machine and left it unattended for about 5 hours. When I came back and started the machine, I had already lost 7% of the charge.

I know that this is not common, it certainly wasn't the case when I first purchased this machine and the battery was new. However, I can't seem to identify the source of the problem, nor does there appear to be a solution online, other then some of the comments concerning keeping Bluetooth on, which is not my case, since I have disabled it. Worse yet is that the Apple team seems to now see this as a problem.

Does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations? Other than taking it back to Apple Care?

Posted on Jul 3, 2022 6:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 3, 2022 7:13 PM

arivera99 Said:

"Replacement MacBook Air Battery drains excessivly while shut down: [...]I recently had to replace the original battery of my MacBook Air (13-inch, 2017), which is running Monterey 12.4.[...] Does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations? Other than taking it back to Apple Care?"

-------

Troubleshooting a Draining Mac Battery:

About Getting this Serviced:

Who performed the service? If it was not an AASP (Apple Authorized Service Provider), they may not perform this service.

Some Steps you can take, yourself...

Try a New Charger:

If it is charing from an external device, then use a new charger:

A Few Links to Refer to Power:

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 3, 2022 7:13 PM in response to arivera99

arivera99 Said:

"Replacement MacBook Air Battery drains excessivly while shut down: [...]I recently had to replace the original battery of my MacBook Air (13-inch, 2017), which is running Monterey 12.4.[...] Does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations? Other than taking it back to Apple Care?"

-------

Troubleshooting a Draining Mac Battery:

About Getting this Serviced:

Who performed the service? If it was not an AASP (Apple Authorized Service Provider), they may not perform this service.

Some Steps you can take, yourself...

Try a New Charger:

If it is charing from an external device, then use a new charger:

A Few Links to Refer to Power:

Jul 4, 2022 9:33 AM in response to arivera99

Try an SMC Reset. I personally like to Option Boot the laptop and have it sit at the Apple boot picker menu so when you perform the SMC Reset the laptop should immediately power off so you know the reset worked.

To look for possible software issues you can run EtreCheck and post the report here using the "Additional Text" icon which looks like a piece of paper. If you give EtreCheck "Full Disk Access", then the report will include more details which may provide more clues.

It is very unusual to get a bad battery (or bad part in general) from Apple so if they replaced the battery a second time it is very unlikely to be a bad battery. If you perform a clean install of macOS by first erasing the whole physical SSD before reinstalling macOS, did you test the behavior of the laptop before installing any third party apps or restoring/migrating from a backup? This is the only way to separate hardware & software issues.

Are you powering the laptop completely off? Before selecting "Shut Down" press the Caps Lock key so the Caps Lock LED lights up so when you select "Shutdown" you will know the laptop is completely powered down when the Caps Lock LED goes out. Sometimes macOS can be very slow to close all apps and the laptop may appear to be off even though it may be stuck in the shutdown process.

Also make sure to disconnect all external devices in case one of them is causing a problem.

Jul 4, 2022 11:26 AM in response to HWTech

@HWTech, appreciate all of your suggestions.

Quick update - I turned off the laptop lastnight @ 9:40pm with a metered full charge. In fact, I turned off the laptop with the charging cable plugged in to make certain it wasn't drawing from the battery during shut down. Earlier today @ 12:40p, a full 15 hours later I restarted the laptop to discover the battery level was @ 87%.

That being said, I performed the SMC Reset using the OptionBoot, and also followed your suggestion to use the 'caps lock' as a visual for making certain it is completely powered down.

I've also run EtreCheck, the report is attached.

Jul 4, 2022 4:03 PM in response to arivera99

It appears you have a clean install of macOS so except for the high CPU use of "triald" there isn't anything to see. Seems "triald" is related to Siri and machine learning:

https://osxdaily.com/2022/06/19/triald-process-using-high-cpu-on-mac-whats-going-on/

It will be interesting to see how the battery charge holds up after using the Caps Lock LED shutdown as an indicator. If you still have the problem, then it tells me you have a hardware problem of some sort where perhaps the power is being lost and reapplied which could trigger the laptop to power on automatically when the Logic Board gets power again after the temporary power disconnect (battery or charger). If this happens with just using the battery (no charger connected), then the Logic Board is most likely bad since you have had two new batteries installed by Apple.

When you power on the laptop do you see the laptop go through the full cold boot startup sequence or do you see the laptop waking from sleep/hibernation mode? Do you hear the startup chime if the audio volume is not too low or muted?

Perhaps there is a small chance that the I/O Board Flex Cable is not fully seated to the Logic Board or the I/O Board that may trigger some type of power situation (it is involved with charging and could have been accidentally loosed during a repair), but I doubt it. Or maybe the keyboard/trackpad is triggering the laptop to power on since the Trackpad Flex Cable on these older MBAirs are easily damaged by liquid damage since their connector lies just beneath the open gap at the top of the Trackpad (the Keyboard & power button do run through the Trackpad through the Trackpad Flex Cable). This is only a possibility if you find the laptop has powered on after a full shutdown.

Just had another idea....Also check to make sure the laptop is not configured to power on automatically in the Battery System Preferences. A PRAM Reset may also be in order since those startup/power on settings may have gotten corrupt in the NVRAM. Make sure to hold the PRAM Reset for at least three chimes if possible. If you still have problems, then you may want to delete that .plist preference file from "~/Library/Preferences" folder in case it is corrupt & causing a problem.

Replacement MacBook Air Battery drains excessivly while shut down

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.