Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unlocked iPhone

Hi everyone,

I am thinking about upgrading my current iPhone (XR) for the 12 or 13. However I want to buy it in another country. Can I buy the phone unlicked, so I can use it in my home country?

Or are there specific models or references that can be unlocked and others aren't?

please let me know

Thank you

Posted on Jul 4, 2022 9:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 4, 2022 9:15 AM

Any iPhone purchased directly from Apple or online at apple.com will not be carrier locked, unless you finance it through a carrier.

And any iPhone purchased from a retailer other than Apple WILL be carrier locked, with a couple of rare exceptions. But a lot of retail sales people will try to mislead you about this, so buy directly from Apple to be safe.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 4, 2022 9:15 AM in response to fofa182

Any iPhone purchased directly from Apple or online at apple.com will not be carrier locked, unless you finance it through a carrier.

And any iPhone purchased from a retailer other than Apple WILL be carrier locked, with a couple of rare exceptions. But a lot of retail sales people will try to mislead you about this, so buy directly from Apple to be safe.

Unlocked iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.