Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I change a PDF document to a fillable one?

Posted on Jul 4, 2022 10:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 4, 2022 10:25 AM

Either the PDF has forms that use Adobe's Acrobat JavaScript and Apple's Preview does not recognize that functionality, so forms may not behave properly, or there are no forms on the PDF and you require a proper PDF Editor to add those forms to the PDF. Apple's Preview is not a PDF Editor, though there are some paid applications in the Mac App Store.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 4, 2022 10:25 AM in response to lyndahaug

Either the PDF has forms that use Adobe's Acrobat JavaScript and Apple's Preview does not recognize that functionality, so forms may not behave properly, or there are no forms on the PDF and you require a proper PDF Editor to add those forms to the PDF. Apple's Preview is not a PDF Editor, though there are some paid applications in the Mac App Store.

Jul 4, 2022 10:44 AM in response to lyndahaug

With a PDF editing app. None are free. Some say they are, but can't do anything but add annotations and highlighting, just like Preview and the Acrobat Reader can do. That's not the same as actual editing of the PDF. Others turn up in a search as an editor, but are only readers.

The ones I know of listed below. I used to use Acrobat as part of the CC suite, but now only pay for Photoshop. Switched to Master PDF Editor since it's not a subscription app. Those listed after are just ones I found but haven't used.

Adobe Acrobat Pro

Master PDF Editor

Nitro PDF Pro

PDF Expert

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.