Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Blinking question mark + not able to reinstall macOS + not able to access macbook

So I opened my Macbook Air and found the persistently blinking question mark. On doing Shift-Option-Command-R I was taken to internet recovery. None of the options work. If I select Disk Utility, I get an option to do first aid but cannot do erase (option is greyed out). Can only see 'apple disk image media + sun folder macOS base system. no other folders. Cannot add partition, cannot erase. (Options greyed out because it says you can't unmount startup volume, whatever that means). If I try to reinstall macOS Monterey, it doesn't let me choose a disk where I can install it. At this point I'm okay with losing existing data but I just want to be able to access my MacBook again. Please help! Will be grateful for any inputs! (I don't use any external hard disk, don't have a time machine back up, was just using this device for zoom classes )

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Jul 4, 2022 12:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 4, 2022 1:01 PM

Get an external drive to install to for now.

If you don’t see Macintosh HD in Disk Utility

Your built-in startup disk should be the first item listed in the Disk Utility sidebar. It's named Macintosh HD, unless you changed its name. If you don't see it there, choose Apple menu  > Shut Down, then unplug all nonessential devices from your Mac and try again.

If your disk still doesn't appear in Disk Utility, or Disk Utility reports that the erase process failed, your Mac might need service. If you need help, please contact Apple Support.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 4, 2022 1:01 PM in response to shyrud80

Get an external drive to install to for now.

If you don’t see Macintosh HD in Disk Utility

Your built-in startup disk should be the first item listed in the Disk Utility sidebar. It's named Macintosh HD, unless you changed its name. If you don't see it there, choose Apple menu  > Shut Down, then unplug all nonessential devices from your Mac and try again.

If your disk still doesn't appear in Disk Utility, or Disk Utility reports that the erase process failed, your Mac might need service. If you need help, please contact Apple Support.

Jul 4, 2022 5:43 PM in response to shyrud80

As @BDAqua mentions it does not appear you have a working internal physical drive. To be sure, within Disk Utility and click "View" and select "Show All Devices" so that the physical drives appear on the left pane of Disk Utility. If you don't see a physical internal drive after doing this, then that drive has failed. Another way of checking is by launching the Terminal app from the Utilities menu and using the following command:

diskutil  list  internal

The "macOS Base System is the macOS installer's virtual boot volume.

If you have a 2018+ Mac, then you can try "Restoring" the system firmware to reset the security enclave and pushes the OS onto the internal drive much like what happens when using a computer to restore an iPhone or iPad.

Revive or restore an Intel-based Mac using Apple Configurator - Apple Support

Revive or restore a Mac with Apple silicon using Apple Configurator - Apple Support

If the physical drive has failed, then you will need to have Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider examine the Mac to provide you with a repair estimate.

Blinking question mark + not able to reinstall macOS + not able to access macbook

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.