Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Duplicate wifi entities

I have an Apple time capsule that provides my home wireless network. My house is built where I require an extender. So I bought an Airport Extreme that extended my wifi satisfactorily for a few years, but since I had a character (slash) in my password, some older equipment would not work with it. So I broke down and changed the password. I followed the instructions and now have two networks with the same name and password. One (time capsule) Says Create Wireless Network, the other says extend wireless network. On our phones there are two of the same named networks.

Posted on Jul 4, 2022 3:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 6, 2022 8:51 AM

So I concentrated on the time capsule.

Smart move. That is why I suggested that you power off the AirPort Extreme and make sure that all was well on the Time Capsule first.

If you start over and set up the AirPort Extreme to extend the network, it will now mirror the WiFi setting on the Time Capsule.

Your WiFi devices will have a much easier time connecting to the network when they see only one network. This is the setting that most users should use.

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 6, 2022 8:51 AM in response to Commfixer

So I concentrated on the time capsule.

Smart move. That is why I suggested that you power off the AirPort Extreme and make sure that all was well on the Time Capsule first.

If you start over and set up the AirPort Extreme to extend the network, it will now mirror the WiFi setting on the Time Capsule.

Your WiFi devices will have a much easier time connecting to the network when they see only one network. This is the setting that most users should use.

Jul 4, 2022 3:39 PM in response to Commfixer

If you are using the same name for the wireless network that you used before and only changed the password, then your WiFi devices have stored settings for the same network name with two different passwords. That is bound to create issues.

Is the name of the WiFi network the same as it was before you changed the password? If it is, you need to change the name of the wireless network.

Easy to do on the Time Capsule. You will need to hard reset the AirPort Extreme and set it up again, which won't be difficult. Post back if you need help.

Jul 5, 2022 8:32 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Yes, I did keep the same WiFi network name. Even though my iphone shows both, I am able to switch between them with no problem. So they both have the correct password. If I change the name, I will have to change all the devices again to the new name, which is quite a challenge.

I did a hard reset on the Extreme to set it up, but it didn't help.

Jul 5, 2022 10:20 AM in response to Commfixer

Even though my iphone shows both, I am able to switch between them with no problem.

Something is wrong. If you have an "extended" network, you should have one "big" network, not two separate networks.

For example, I have 3 AirPorts set up here at the house in an extended network. All WiFi devices only see only one network, no matter where they are located.

Not sure how much time you want to spend on this though. Post back if you want to try to figure out what is wrong with your network.

Jul 5, 2022 10:29 AM in response to Commfixer

Here is what I would suggest:

Temporarily power off the AirPort Extreme and make sure that all of your WiFi devices can connect to the Time Capsule WiFi. If they can, then the next step would be to perform a Hard Reset on the AirPort Extreme and set it up again.

But.....if you still see some weirdness like an iPhone or iPad that thinks there are two networks, we'll need to figure out what is going on first.....before the AirPort Extreme is set up.

Post back if you need step by step instructions to reset and reconfigure the AirPort Extreme.

Duplicate wifi entities

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.