Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why can't I share my family's apple tv+ subscription?

My Mac says I'm sharing (in settings) but when I go to the app (on my Mac, Roku, or iphone) it asks me to subscribe.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jul 4, 2022 9:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 28, 2022 7:19 PM

I have the same problem. (All this is in Monterey 12.4)

1. In System Preferences > Family Sharing, it says that I have access to Apple TV+. (My family is subscribed and can watch; they even attempted to log in in my Mac and Apple TV+ DID work.
  2. In the TV.app I am signed in with my Apple ID.
  3. I can't watch any episode beyond the free ones. Only the "+ Add to Up Next" button appears. I can't even subscribe to tv+ (the button isn't there).

My account is on the same country as my family. I have no billing address linked to my account.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 28, 2022 7:19 PM in response to Urquhart1244

I have the same problem. (All this is in Monterey 12.4)

1. In System Preferences > Family Sharing, it says that I have access to Apple TV+. (My family is subscribed and can watch; they even attempted to log in in my Mac and Apple TV+ DID work.
  2. In the TV.app I am signed in with my Apple ID.
  3. I can't watch any episode beyond the free ones. Only the "+ Add to Up Next" button appears. I can't even subscribe to tv+ (the button isn't there).

My account is on the same country as my family. I have no billing address linked to my account.

Jul 5, 2022 12:30 AM in response to treblecierpke

Family Sharing requires being invited by a person that sets it up (the organizer). Then you accept the invitation, and you are part of the group from then on, until you decide to leave, or get removed by the organizer. Users can be part of one Family Sharing group at a time, and users can switch groups no more than once a year. Family Sharing group members would need to have their accounts based in the same country.

When you are part of a Family Sharing group AND one of the group members is an Apple TV+ subscriber, then anyone in that group will get access to Apple TV+ through their own account (with the own personal watch history, Up Next queue list, and recommendations based on what else you seem to like). Apple TV+ is not automatically included in Family Sharing. One group member must subscribe to the service.

Family Sharing is an account property of your Apple ID account. It works on devices where you are signed in with that same Apple ID account. It doesn’t matter if you joined the group on Mac, or on iPhone, or on the organizer’s device.

Family Sharing details on Mac can be found in System Preferences. You would find a Family Sharing icon there. This is different from the Sharing icon in System Preferences, which is for sharing the Mac and some of its content – not about subscription services.

On Macs, users need to additionally sign in to the TV app (menu Account) to access shared subscriptions like Apple TV+.

On Roku, users need to sign in the Apple TV app (sprockets wheel icon) to access the shared subscriptions like Apple TV+.

On iPhone, there can be one Apple ID account only, and that is automatically used for the TV app as well.

Family Sharing - Apple

What you can do with Family Sharing - Apple Support

Join a Family group - Set up Family Sharing - Apple Support

Join a Family Sharing group in Family Sharing on Mac - Apple Support

Jul 28, 2022 7:52 PM in response to no-person-info

1. All good then.
  2. All good then.
  3. An Apple TV+ subscription through fFamily Sharing gives you access to Apple TV+ content, not other content in the Apple TV app (other in-app Channels, iTunes Store content). Is that what you mean by “free episodes”? It is not free – your family pays for it (unless free trial). Any content in the Apple TV app can be added to Up Next, even content that has yet to be paid for (buy/​rent/​subscribe). Up Next is just a list.

About Apple TV+ - Apple

Apple Originals - Apple TV+ Press

List of Apple TV+ original programming (episodic/series) - Wikipedia

List of Apple TV+ original films - Wikipedia

Why can't I share my family's apple tv+ subscription?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.