Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Switching on a MacBook Air with a Magic Keyboard with Touch ID - Possible?

Hello,

I have just purchased a Magic Keyboard with Touch ID and I'd like to switch my MacBook Air (M1, 2020, latest software) on whilst it is in Clamshell mode, using the keyboard. Is this possible?

Thank you,

Dan

Posted on Jul 5, 2022 1:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 5, 2022 5:19 AM

Sorry, but it doesn't work. I have both and it simply not possible.

Perhaps the M2 version will be able to, but won't know that until it is released and in the field.

Personally, I never shut mine down as it draws so little power when not in use and I simply use Lock Screen (of course this applies when connected to power). The Touch ID sensor on the Magic Keyboard will work in this scenario or if you so desire, wake from sleep.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 5, 2022 5:19 AM in response to Dan_Thompson

Sorry, but it doesn't work. I have both and it simply not possible.

Perhaps the M2 version will be able to, but won't know that until it is released and in the field.

Personally, I never shut mine down as it draws so little power when not in use and I simply use Lock Screen (of course this applies when connected to power). The Touch ID sensor on the Magic Keyboard will work in this scenario or if you so desire, wake from sleep.

Switching on a MacBook Air with a Magic Keyboard with Touch ID - Possible?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.