Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Storing new NON-WEBSITE password in iPhone passwords

Can anyone explain why there is a difference between the Mac OS (and/or iCloud) Keychain and the passwords stored in one's iPhone's settings?

Specifically, I don't seem to be able to store an app password or a simple private note, in my iPhone passwords the way I can in the Keychain. If I want to store a padlock combination number, for instance, I need to make up a fake url to be able to store it—"robsbikepadlock.com," or whatever.

There must be a reason for this, and a different way of saving that kind of information, but I haven't been able to figure out what it is. I've searched the discussions without a result.

Many thanks in advance for any help,

Rob

iPhone 11, iOS 15

Posted on Jul 5, 2022 12:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 5, 2022 12:17 PM

The Mac's Keychain and the iPhone's password list are separate apps with different features. They work differently because they are designed for different things. They are not meant to mirror each other in terms of features.

If want similar features to Keychain like Secure Notes, then you can get 3rd party Apps from the App Store that have these features.

You are also free to suggest new features for the iPhone to Apple at: Feedback - iPhone - Apple

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 5, 2022 12:17 PM in response to Rob Ehle

The Mac's Keychain and the iPhone's password list are separate apps with different features. They work differently because they are designed for different things. They are not meant to mirror each other in terms of features.

If want similar features to Keychain like Secure Notes, then you can get 3rd party Apps from the App Store that have these features.

You are also free to suggest new features for the iPhone to Apple at: Feedback - iPhone - Apple

Jul 5, 2022 12:39 PM in response to Phil0124

Thanks. I think what's confusing is that the passwords stored are (partly) shared between them. Passwords I store on my phone are automatically shared through the cloud in Keychain. And I believe it works the other way, too, at least with website passwords.

I guess I was wondering about the reasoning, but I'll do my own research on that.

Storing new NON-WEBSITE password in iPhone passwords

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.