Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When trying to backup Time Machine to my WD MyUnable to complete backup. An error occurred while creating the backup folder.Passport for Mac, I get this error message: "Unable to complete backup. An error occurred while creating the backup folder."

When trying to backup Time Machine to my WD My Passport for MAC, I get this error message: "Unable to complete backup. An error occurred while creating the backup folder." I have tried to run FirstAid through the Disk Utilities on OS and WD Utilities. The message is the same. WD website does not have an answer to this problem. Should I disconnect and reconnect the external hard drive?

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jul 6, 2022 12:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 7, 2022 1:36 PM

Hello philip_,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities. This error may indicate an issue with the external drive. Is there another HD that you can test?

If the same issue occurs when running disk utility as mentioned in How to repair a Mac disk with Disk Utility - Apple Support, this may be a hardware issue. If so, the manufacturer of the external drive is in the best position to help. You may have paperwork that came with the device. If not, an Internet search led us to Western Digital - Contact Us which may help.

Kind regards.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 7, 2022 1:36 PM in response to philip_

Hello philip_,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities. This error may indicate an issue with the external drive. Is there another HD that you can test?

If the same issue occurs when running disk utility as mentioned in How to repair a Mac disk with Disk Utility - Apple Support, this may be a hardware issue. If so, the manufacturer of the external drive is in the best position to help. You may have paperwork that came with the device. If not, an Internet search led us to Western Digital - Contact Us which may help.

Kind regards.

When trying to backup Time Machine to my WD MyUnable to complete backup. An error occurred while creating the backup folder.Passport for Mac, I get this error message: "Unable to complete backup. An error occurred while creating the backup folder."

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.