Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Broken iPhone stuck in two factor authentication on new phone

Hi, my 12yo son broke his phone. We have bought a new one but can’t get it set up as the 2fa is trying to send a code to either the broken phone or his iCloud email. The iCloud email requires 2fa and is trying to send the code to the broken phone…. Totally stuck! His phone and Apple ID are all linked to my account (he is on my family sharing and pretty sure linked to my iCloud) but it’s not giving my number as an option to receive 2fa… any ideas please!?

iPhone 11

Posted on Jul 6, 2022 4:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 6, 2022 5:35 PM

See if anything here helps.  If necessary, you can use account recovery as explained in the link at bottom of the article.

Verification code - how to get one and sign in with two-factor authentication.   *

If you can get a code and sign in, you need to change/add the number on his Apple ID. Look in the Security section when signed in online. You may have to add the new number before you can remove the old number. After the change, allow up to 24 hours for the change to sync. Before trying to make the change, sign out of Messages/FaceTime on all devices/computers.

Apple ID - Manage

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 6, 2022 5:35 PM in response to BigNumber9

See if anything here helps.  If necessary, you can use account recovery as explained in the link at bottom of the article.

Verification code - how to get one and sign in with two-factor authentication.   *

If you can get a code and sign in, you need to change/add the number on his Apple ID. Look in the Security section when signed in online. You may have to add the new number before you can remove the old number. After the change, allow up to 24 hours for the change to sync. Before trying to make the change, sign out of Messages/FaceTime on all devices/computers.

Apple ID - Manage

Broken iPhone stuck in two factor authentication on new phone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.