Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

SWAP usage

I have a iMac and I added a 2x8 GB of RAM

but system not use all memory

I remove a swap and restart a system run need app and then usage RAM go in to 11 GB

OS auto create a swap again

but i have 13 GB free RAM

HOW to turn off a swap permanently or change settings to use my mac 23-24 GB and then create a swap ?

iMac 27″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Jul 7, 2022 9:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 7, 2022 10:13 AM

What are you using to calculate memory usage on your Mac? "Swap" memory indicates that there is not enough available RAM to hold all the apps/processes, and requires that they be temporarily swapped to system storage. There is no means to disable this function.

8 replies

Jul 7, 2022 11:44 PM in response to Tesserax

I install htop from "brew install htop"

I'm not looking for an easy way to delete a SWAP

, but I need to delete it if it requires reinstalling the system and I'm ready for that too

Or reformat the disk into an easy one too

I need to either change the settings so that it uses all the RAM and after the SWAP or does not use SWAP at all

Jul 8, 2022 3:40 PM in response to dron84

I only have one comment:

a.You must be careful as to what RAM you install; Macs are finicky. Your screenshot is from what Mac setting (I have never seen that before).

b. Mac OS takes care of the RAM usage and will swap if necessary, There is nothing for you to do. It will use all or part of it whenever necessary.

c. there is no need for terminal - as mentioned, the OS takes care of it.

SWAP usage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.