Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Erase Mac

Trying to erase a MacBookPro (2017 model running Monterey 12.3) . When I restart and hold Command R, I get a closed lock icon and space to enter a password. If I enter my administrator password, (the dots disappear and) nothing happens; screen remains blank other than lock icon and space to enter password. (Have transferred all files, signed out of iCloud etc).

MacBook Pro

Posted on Jul 8, 2022 6:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 8, 2022 6:29 AM

Essentially you need to do this: What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac - Apple Support

this will bring your Mac ack to its out-of-the-box condition: erased and ready to run setup.

It sounds like your Mac has a firmware password set: If your Mac doesn't start up all the way - Apple Support

Page down to the padlock screen section.

Also: Set a firmware password on your Mac - Apple Support

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 8, 2022 6:29 AM in response to Roo_bear

Essentially you need to do this: What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac - Apple Support

this will bring your Mac ack to its out-of-the-box condition: erased and ready to run setup.

It sounds like your Mac has a firmware password set: If your Mac doesn't start up all the way - Apple Support

Page down to the padlock screen section.

Also: Set a firmware password on your Mac - Apple Support

Erase Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.