Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Adaptor recommendation for apple studio display to mini Mac 2014

hello

im trying to find a way to connect an Apple studio display to Mac mini 2014 and Mac book pro 2015. I know its not natively compatible however is there an adaptor that’s sure to work?

basically I need to get a new display and might as well get the newest one so when I upgrade my laptop and desktop it’s all compatible if wondering why I’d connect those.

Studio Display

Posted on Jul 8, 2022 5:57 PM

6 replies

Jul 9, 2022 8:21 PM in response to j_morrissette2018

The adapter should work as far as getting the Thunderbolt signal to the display. The problem is resolution. The Studio display is 5120-by-2880. The 2014 Mac mini graphics chip:

"Support for up to two displays at 2560 by 1600 pixels

Mac mini (Late 2014) - Technical Specifications

If you're lucky, you may get a half resolution (2560×1440) picture. If not, nothing.

Jul 9, 2022 7:57 PM in response to woodmeister50

Are you sure, I just got a call back from apple and they claim their Thunderbolt 2 to 3 adapter should work fine. Granted not all functions but I knew that already. Are they misinformed? Is there a tech incompatibility with the new displays Thunderbolt 3 vs previous Thunderbolt 3 monitors your aware of that would be esoteric to apple support?

Jul 9, 2022 8:04 PM in response to den.thed

Same as my other response above basically. I knew it wouldn’t wont naturally but assumed there was a chance with the infamous Thunderbolt 2 to 3 adaptor or similar. Apple support as stated below suggested the same. I’m curious if you know of some reason it doesn’t work in case apple is wrong since I’ve seen them miss esoteric information before. Or could it work as suggested.

Adaptor recommendation for apple studio display to mini Mac 2014

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.