Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Launchpad { GHOST ICON } MacOS 12.4

Hello,

Has anyone else come across this glitch? When using the Launchpad if you select an item and you happen to use a trackpad or a magic mouse; if your finger slips on a gesture action or you release while dragging the Icon it will stay floating (on top) of the window server regardless of whether or not you force quit the finder quit the window server using the terminal or in force quit the process using a utility the icon remains!

It's beyond annoying, sometimes it blocks important links and things and as much as I do love the retina display and the 5K resolution, I do not love the {ghost} icon size that comes along with it.

Seems the only thing that gets rid of the floating in place glitch is a full restart or completely logging out of the user. This is unacceptable when working in a large production environment. This is current as of Monterey 12.4 clean install.

Model Identifier: iMac20,1

Processor Name: 6-Core Intel Core i5

Processor Speed: 3.3 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 6

L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 12 MB

Hyper-Threading Technology: Enabled

Memory: 72 GB

System Firmware Version: 1731.120.10.0.0 (iBridge: 19.16.15071.0.0,0)

OS Loader Version: 540.120.3~6

Posted on Jul 9, 2022 2:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 9, 2022 9:01 AM

AstraTech wrote:

Hello,

Has anyone else come across this glitch? When using the Launchpad if you select an item and you happen to use a trackpad or a magic mouse; if your finger slips on a gesture action or you release while dragging the Icon it will stay floating (on top) of the window server regardless of whether or not you force quit the finder quit the window server using the terminal or in force quit the process using a utility the icon remains!

Well, I do not quit grok what is a "gesture action"...Non the less

I would use whatever works better for you and compare your results. It does not have to be the Launchpad.

• You can use the Application folder as an alternative
  • You can fix any app to the Dock
  • You can use the Spotlight to quickly pull up apps

you can submit your Apple Feedback or file a bug report here: Product Feedback - Apple

Make some changes so the trackpad works better for you

How to use the Force Touch trackpad - Apple Support

Use Multi-Touch gestures on your Mac - Apple Support

Change Mouse & Trackpad preferences for accessibility on Mac

Change Mouse & Trackpad preferences for accessibility on Mac - Apple Support

Change how your trackpad works with Mac - Apple Support

Change Trackpad preferences on Mac - Apple Support

Turn on/off "three finger drag" for your Force Touch trackpad - Apple Support

Accessibility>Keyboard>Options

Turn on three finger drag for your Mac trackpad - Apple Support

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 9, 2022 9:01 AM in response to AstraTech

AstraTech wrote:

Hello,

Well, I do not quit grok what is a "gesture action"...Non the less

I would use whatever works better for you and compare your results. It does not have to be the Launchpad.

• You can use the Application folder as an alternative
  • You can fix any app to the Dock
  • You can use the Spotlight to quickly pull up apps

you can submit your Apple Feedback or file a bug report here: Product Feedback - Apple

Make some changes so the trackpad works better for you

Change Mouse & Trackpad preferences for accessibility on Mac

Change Mouse & Trackpad preferences for accessibility on Mac - Apple Support

Change how your trackpad works with Mac - Apple Support

Change Trackpad preferences on Mac - Apple Support

Turn on/off "three finger drag" for your Force Touch trackpad - Apple Support

Accessibility>Keyboard>Options

Turn on three finger drag for your Mac trackpad - Apple Support

Jul 16, 2022 7:17 AM in response to leroydouglas

LeRoy, thx dude!

Yea, I got all that. Haha ;p It may say I’m a Level1however, I’ve been using Macs professionally before there even was an internet pre TCP-IP back when we ran Hermes BBS Elite forums, before AOL went public, before CompuServe, and before a guy called Thomas Knoll created a novel new concept called “layers" in a rastor scanning plugin called Photoshop 3,0.

I appreciate the response, sincerely. However, it still does not answer my question. It seems to be a tracking issue with the com.apple.windowserver.plist rendering within the QuartzCore.

PS: a "gesture action” is the action of using Multi-Touch gestures . ;)

Jul 16, 2022 10:17 AM in response to AstraTech

@leroydouglas

NOTE:

After reading my last post, please disregard my sarcasm. It was unnecessary, however I’m leaving it intact for context. My frustration was not meant for you. Perhaps I should have posted this in the Dev group. I rarely use Apple Support, I forget sometimes how diverse our community is with people learning at all levels, and some just starting on their Macintosh journey.

Thank you for your help. :)

Launchpad { GHOST ICON } MacOS 12.4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.