Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Advice on Bootable Backup on an External Drive

Hi people!

Which is a good alternative to make a start up bootable backup on an external drive?

I would like to make it in way all my software and more important its "settings" stand the same as now. It is too time consuming to set again PDF exports, Color Space, etc.

I have tried Carbon Copy Cloner but i have problems and errors in the backup. I think a better try another option. Is there any freeware available which can do the job? I read that Apple Disk Utility can also do that but i am not sure if it only for the Mac Os or also files and apps as well. I think i cannot do that with Time Machine, right?

I have a Mac Mini 2014 with Mojave Mac OS and formatted my external drive in AFPS system since i would like to install later on OWC Aura Pro X2 as the main drive and boot my older system on it.

Any help or advice?

Thanks 1000! ;-)

Mac mini 2018 or later

Posted on Jul 9, 2022 4:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 12, 2022 5:31 PM

If CCC is not working try booting into Safe Mode as you may have some third party software that is interfering with the process. It is best to run CCC with all other apps closed to minimize problems. There has to be a reason CCC is not working. An issue with third party software or a hardware issue are the most likely causes for CCC not to work. I've used CCC for 20 years with our organization's Macs and have never had a problem except when a Mac had a hardware issue. Unfortunately you haven't provided any specific details on the failure for anyone to assist with CCC.

You may want to create a bootable macOS external drive with a full installation of macOS. Boot from this drive so you can run CCC from it so you can clone the internal drive to another external drive. If this does not work, then you have an issue with your computer, external drive, or file system (assuming you are using CCC properly to make the bootable clone -- I assume you are if you used it in the past). The only change to a bootable clone with CCC is with Big Sur and Monterey where you need to erase the destination and right-clicking or Control-clicking on the destination within CCC and selecting "Legacy". I haven't used CCC v6+ yet, so maybe CCC now requires this for Mojave as well?

FYI, some things in a drive's health report may not show any "Warning" or "Failing" notices, but may still provide clues. SSDs usually require a manual inspection & interpretation of the health report.

Try running the Apple Diagnostics to look for other possible hardware issues.

Unetbootin is an app for creating a bootable USB stick from a specially created raw image file, like creating a bootable Clonezilla USB stick.

Rescuezilla and Clonezilla do have options for cloning drives bit by bit although they have severe limitations, but would be fine if cloning to an image file (to restore to the original source drive) or a destination drive of the exact same size as the source drive. You cannot use them to clone to a smaller destination drive. If you use them to clone to a larger drive, then the drive will have lots of wasted space. Sometimes it is possible to adjust the partitions to be able to access the empty space, but it is dangerous and does not always work especially with macOS since there are no apps/utilities to do this properly (even with Windows or Linux this can be tricky). Definitely more work & more technical to fix than getting CCC to work, unless you don't mind the wasted space. I've personally never cared for those tools for cloning as they just never met my needs for any situations I've had, although they do have some cases where I'm sure they are fine.

Only CCC and SuperDuper have the capability of cloning the same drive you are booted from (I've never had time to learn SuperDuper although I did try it once years ago -- much preferred the ease of use of CCC). Being able to clone the drive currently booted is actually very unusual since you usually want to clone a drive while booted from external media since the contents of the drive are continually changing if it is active.

If you want a macOS only option not involving third party software, then consider performing a clean install of macOS to the external drive, then migrate from a TM backup or migrate from your internal drive during the initial setup of the new OS.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 12, 2022 5:31 PM in response to uzapucax

If CCC is not working try booting into Safe Mode as you may have some third party software that is interfering with the process. It is best to run CCC with all other apps closed to minimize problems. There has to be a reason CCC is not working. An issue with third party software or a hardware issue are the most likely causes for CCC not to work. I've used CCC for 20 years with our organization's Macs and have never had a problem except when a Mac had a hardware issue. Unfortunately you haven't provided any specific details on the failure for anyone to assist with CCC.

You may want to create a bootable macOS external drive with a full installation of macOS. Boot from this drive so you can run CCC from it so you can clone the internal drive to another external drive. If this does not work, then you have an issue with your computer, external drive, or file system (assuming you are using CCC properly to make the bootable clone -- I assume you are if you used it in the past). The only change to a bootable clone with CCC is with Big Sur and Monterey where you need to erase the destination and right-clicking or Control-clicking on the destination within CCC and selecting "Legacy". I haven't used CCC v6+ yet, so maybe CCC now requires this for Mojave as well?

FYI, some things in a drive's health report may not show any "Warning" or "Failing" notices, but may still provide clues. SSDs usually require a manual inspection & interpretation of the health report.

Try running the Apple Diagnostics to look for other possible hardware issues.

Unetbootin is an app for creating a bootable USB stick from a specially created raw image file, like creating a bootable Clonezilla USB stick.

Rescuezilla and Clonezilla do have options for cloning drives bit by bit although they have severe limitations, but would be fine if cloning to an image file (to restore to the original source drive) or a destination drive of the exact same size as the source drive. You cannot use them to clone to a smaller destination drive. If you use them to clone to a larger drive, then the drive will have lots of wasted space. Sometimes it is possible to adjust the partitions to be able to access the empty space, but it is dangerous and does not always work especially with macOS since there are no apps/utilities to do this properly (even with Windows or Linux this can be tricky). Definitely more work & more technical to fix than getting CCC to work, unless you don't mind the wasted space. I've personally never cared for those tools for cloning as they just never met my needs for any situations I've had, although they do have some cases where I'm sure they are fine.

Only CCC and SuperDuper have the capability of cloning the same drive you are booted from (I've never had time to learn SuperDuper although I did try it once years ago -- much preferred the ease of use of CCC). Being able to clone the drive currently booted is actually very unusual since you usually want to clone a drive while booted from external media since the contents of the drive are continually changing if it is active.

If you want a macOS only option not involving third party software, then consider performing a clean install of macOS to the external drive, then migrate from a TM backup or migrate from your internal drive during the initial setup of the new OS.

Jul 12, 2022 5:08 AM in response to HWTech

Hi!

Sorry for the delay in replying back. I used CCC in the past and it was good. Now i have this issue that is not copying anything in the backup. I tried many different setups, different computers and no solution. I have also read the documentation in its website FAQ but it too technical, too long and too tedious. I do not want to invest more time with CCC. I have DriveDx and both disk are fairly new, health about 98% and running good.

Any experience with some of the multiple open source or free app to do this?

• Unetbootin
  • Rescuezilla
  • Clonezilla

Can Mac OS do this without having to go to an external App? like Time Machine or Disk Utility?

I would to like to make a bootbable external drive. I will use it just once so no point in learning of lot more.

Thanks for your help ;-)

Jul 9, 2022 6:31 PM in response to uzapucax

CCC is one of the most reliable apps out there for creating a bootable backup of a macOS boot drive. I've never encountered any issues using it to make a bootable clone. If you are having problems with it, then I would suspect one of your drives is bad. Or maybe the external drive is being disconnected during the transfer (I had this problem with my 2014 Mini and had to resort to using a powered USB3 hub).

You can check the health of the drives by running DriveDx. Post the complete text report(s) here using the "Additional Text" icon which looks like a piece of paper. To check the health of an external USB drive will require installing a special USB driver as well. However, even with the special USB driver some of the USB chipsets used by external drives & adapters will not allow the necessary communication to access the drive's health information.

If the drives are healthy, then definitely provide more details on the error encountered.

The only other app I know of to clone a macOS boot drive is SuperDuper, but I've always found it to be harder to use as I've never had any time to properly read up on it (I know it is a great app, just more difficult to use). CCC just works without needing to do anything special.

Jul 13, 2022 7:23 AM in response to HWTech

Great!

Thanks for the time and effort in such a very detailed answer!

You have change my mind and I will give CCC another chance. ;-)

I have version 5 with Mojave. The problem is that after taking the time for cloning the result is "0 files copied". I will enter in Safe Mode and do a reset of PRAM, maybe that could be an issue too.

Thanks again for you very good answer

Advice on Bootable Backup on an External Drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.