Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

target disk mode not working in mojave

i'm trying to use my MACBOOKpro 2019 with mojave with my MACPRO6 late 2013 also in MOjave and the same network.

As the thunderbolt ports are different is there a way to use the Macpro6 in target mode?

The. various apple adaptors don't help me ...

Any hints?

Thanks

Mac Pro

Posted on Jul 10, 2022 12:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 10, 2022 5:36 PM

I would put the 2013 laptop into Target Disk Mode. You would need to use an Apple USB-C to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter along with the necessary older style Thunderbolt cable to connect the adapter to the old laptop.

You can also enable File Sharing on one of the Macs and transfer the files across the network.

Set up file sharing on Mac - Apple Support

Or you can connect an external USB 3 SSD to transfer files between the two Macs.

Or you can take advantage of iCloud file syncing so that files are accessible to both systems.

Set up iCloud on your Mac - Apple Support

Just make sure to have frequent and regular backups of your computer and all external media (including the cloud) which contains important & unique data. Cloud file syncing is NOT a backup.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 10, 2022 5:36 PM in response to DanWan

I would put the 2013 laptop into Target Disk Mode. You would need to use an Apple USB-C to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter along with the necessary older style Thunderbolt cable to connect the adapter to the old laptop.

You can also enable File Sharing on one of the Macs and transfer the files across the network.

Set up file sharing on Mac - Apple Support

Or you can connect an external USB 3 SSD to transfer files between the two Macs.

Or you can take advantage of iCloud file syncing so that files are accessible to both systems.

Set up iCloud on your Mac - Apple Support

Just make sure to have frequent and regular backups of your computer and all external media (including the cloud) which contains important & unique data. Cloud file syncing is NOT a backup.

target disk mode not working in mojave

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.