Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unlock with apple watch no longer works

My watch used to unlock my mac, unlock system preferences etc.

Suddenly that no longer works.

I have the appropriate box checked in security & privacy system preference.

I tried deselecting it, restarting the computer and restarting and selecting. I got a dialogue box asking me to confirm that I want to allow unlocking apps and my mac with my watch. I did so, the box was deselected, I selected it but I still can't unlock any system preference

I am running os12.4 and watch 8.6 and iOS15.5

MBP mid 2019

MacBook Pro

Posted on Jul 10, 2022 1:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 10, 2022 2:12 PM

Check out this thread on fixing Apple Watch unlocking Mac

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251803595?answerId=253458029022#253458029022

Read all the replies, as there are other solutions besides the one marked solved.

Similar questions

9 replies

Jul 12, 2022 9:26 AM in response to tommmy

I am having the same issue. I have tried all of the solutions in the other post linked in these comments and still nothing, It used to work fine. Running MacOS Monterey 12.4, Watch OS 8.6 (19T572), and iOS 15.5. When I wake up either of my MacBook Pros, I see the login screen, then the message stating it is "Unlocking with Apple Watch" for about 5 seconds, then it just goes back to the login screen where I have to either enter my password or use Touch ID to unlock the Mac. Very annoying.

Jul 14, 2022 1:49 PM in response to wgcarter

I am on Monterey 12.4 and it works for me, several times a day.

I find it works best if my Mac is connected to Ethernet so the WiFi interface is not busy, but it does work for WiFi.

I have a Company provided M1 Pro 14" MacBook Pro running Monterey 12.4 connected via Ethernet (it is tied to the desk because of the 32" monitor and external disk, so Ethernet is an easy choice.

I also have a personal 16" M1 Max MacBook Pro running Monterey 12.4 that uses WiFi and it is perfectly happy unlocking.

Every so often I do have to enter my password or fingerprint. I have found that entering the password seems to make unlock with Apple Watch happier. When I use the Fingerprint reading, the Mac is more likely to keep asking for a password of fingerprint to unlock.

And I used the above link to get my unlock with Apple Watch working a year or so ago when it stopped working on me.

Jul 14, 2022 7:23 PM in response to BobHarris

I have Monterey 12.4 and have my mac connect to ethernet.

I went through the link and nothing improved. I was surprised that the Security and & Privacy system preference has "use your apple watch to unlock" selected. My Mac still unlocks my watch.

This problem started with upgrading to Monterey 12.4 from Big Sur

Unlock with apple watch no longer works

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.