Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

removed ipad account from daughter apple ID but ipad wont update to my account

Changing apple ID account on my Ipad from my daughters account to mine?is this possible

Posted on Jul 10, 2022 8:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 10, 2022 8:33 PM

Jobugs123 Said:

"removed ipad account from daughter apple ID but ipad wont update to my account: Changing apple ID account on my Ipad from my daughters account to mine?is this possible"

-------

Reset this Up Anew:

If your daughter is permitting this, then I'd say try the following: Reset this iPad anew, as if you were to sell it. She'd log out of iCloud on it; you'd perform the reset, and then you'd proceed form there, logging in to your iCloud upon setup. Go here: What to do Before you Sell, Give Away, or Trade in your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 10, 2022 8:33 PM in response to Jobugs123

Jobugs123 Said:

"removed ipad account from daughter apple ID but ipad wont update to my account: Changing apple ID account on my Ipad from my daughters account to mine?is this possible"

-------

Reset this Up Anew:

If your daughter is permitting this, then I'd say try the following: Reset this iPad anew, as if you were to sell it. She'd log out of iCloud on it; you'd perform the reset, and then you'd proceed form there, logging in to your iCloud upon setup. Go here: What to do Before you Sell, Give Away, or Trade in your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Jul 11, 2022 2:39 AM in response to Jobugs123

Yes, but understanding what needs to be done - and perhaps just as importantly why - might be worth brief explanation. A few moments understanding the mechanics can save a lot of time and later frustration if you otherwise attempt to follow a different path…

You can transfer the iPad from your daughter’s AppleID account to your own, but you must first properly prepare the iPad for re-use by a different User. If you fail to properly sign-out and prepare the iPad - and simply attempt to sign-out from one AppleID and sign-in to another - you run the significant risk of inadvertently merging your daughter’s data and sensitive/account data with you own, or vice versa. If your data is accidentally merged, there is no “undo” function. The only way to reverse an unintentional merge is to manually locate and delete every data-point (Password, Contact, address, Calendar entry, Note etc.) from the merged data.

To properly prepare the iPad, you must sign-out of all services that use your daughter’s AppleID - disable the Activation Lock that will otherwise become a problem - and erase all locally stored data. This process is fortunately relatively straightforward:

What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

removed ipad account from daughter apple ID but ipad wont update to my account

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.