Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When I'm on a call, I can’t hear the other person unless I put it on speaker.

When I make a call or receive a call I cannot hear the person on the other side unless I have it on speakerphone I cleaned the sound bar and I have checked volume in settings any suggestions

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 11, iOS 15

Posted on Jul 11, 2022 7:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 12, 2022 11:27 AM

Hey Cddant19,

It looks like you checked out the article about your iPhone being stuck in headphone mode. Just to confirm, is this the issue you're experiencing?

If that's not the case, then here's a more relevant article that we'd like to share with you: If you hear no sound or distorted sound from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch speaker

Some additional steps below can also be helpful:

1. Remove all screen protectors, films, or cases from your device. 

2. Check the speaker opening to see if it's blocked or dirty. On iPhone only, make sure that the receiver isn't blocked or dirty. 

3. If necessary, clean the speaker or receiver opening with a small, soft-bristled brush. Make sure that the brush is clean and dry.

4. Go to Settings > Sounds (or Settings > Sounds & Haptics), and drag the Ringer and Alerts slider back and forth a few times. If you don't hear any sound, or if your speaker button on the Ringer and Alerts slider is dimmed, your speaker might need service.

5. If you hear sound, try making a call with your iPhone and turn on speakerphone. On iPad or iPod touch, make a FaceTime call. If you still can't hear, or hear static or crackling, then your network or reception could be the issue. Try to call again later, or from a different location.

Let us know if these steps were helpful.

Cheers!

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 12, 2022 11:27 AM in response to Cddant19

Hey Cddant19,

It looks like you checked out the article about your iPhone being stuck in headphone mode. Just to confirm, is this the issue you're experiencing?

If that's not the case, then here's a more relevant article that we'd like to share with you: If you hear no sound or distorted sound from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch speaker

Some additional steps below can also be helpful:

1. Remove all screen protectors, films, or cases from your device. 

2. Check the speaker opening to see if it's blocked or dirty. On iPhone only, make sure that the receiver isn't blocked or dirty. 

3. If necessary, clean the speaker or receiver opening with a small, soft-bristled brush. Make sure that the brush is clean and dry.

4. Go to Settings > Sounds (or Settings > Sounds & Haptics), and drag the Ringer and Alerts slider back and forth a few times. If you don't hear any sound, or if your speaker button on the Ringer and Alerts slider is dimmed, your speaker might need service.

5. If you hear sound, try making a call with your iPhone and turn on speakerphone. On iPad or iPod touch, make a FaceTime call. If you still can't hear, or hear static or crackling, then your network or reception could be the issue. Try to call again later, or from a different location.

Let us know if these steps were helpful.

Cheers!

When I'm on a call, I can’t hear the other person unless I put it on speaker.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.