Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I restore my iTunes library OS Catalina?

I have a lot of music that I purchased over the years and now I can't find it when I open Apple Music on my iMac. I don't want to upgrade to the next OS without solving this. Is there a method of restoring the iTunes library?

Thanks

iMac 27″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jul 12, 2022 12:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 13, 2022 12:26 PM

Hi there Soft-Ware,

We'd like to learn more to see how we can help. Are you signed into Apple Music with the same Apple ID used to purchase your songs from the iTunes Store?

Sign in to the iTunes Store
When you have an Apple ID, you can sign in to the iTunes Store to buy music, view or change your account information, and see your purchase history.
1. In the Music app  on your Mac, choose Account > Sign In.
2. If you already signed in to Podcasts or the Apple TV app, you’re automatically signed in to Music.
3. Do one of the following:
- Sign in with your Apple ID: Enter your Apple ID and password, then click Next.

Learn more here: Set up and view an iTunes Store account in Music on Mac

After you're signed in, you can download your purchases with these steps:

Download previous purchases to an authorized computer
1. In the Music app  on your Mac, make sure you authorized your computer to play iTunes Store purchases.
2. Click iTunes Store in the sidebar.
3. If you don’t see iTunes Store in the sidebar, choose Music > Preferences, click General, make sure iTunes Store is selected, then click OK.
4. Click Purchased (below Music Quick Links) on the right side of the iTunes Store window.
5. Purchases available for download are displayed. You can view all of your past purchases or just the ones not currently in your music library. Items already in your library aren’t available for download.
6. You can view your purchases by song, artist, or album. If you view by album, click an album to see which songs are available to download.
7. To search for an item, type its name or a keyword in the search field, then press the Return key.
8. To download an item, click its Download button .

You'll find these steps in this support article: Download previous iTunes Store purchases in Music on Mac

Cheers!

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 13, 2022 12:26 PM in response to Soft-Ware

Hi there Soft-Ware,

We'd like to learn more to see how we can help. Are you signed into Apple Music with the same Apple ID used to purchase your songs from the iTunes Store?

Sign in to the iTunes Store
When you have an Apple ID, you can sign in to the iTunes Store to buy music, view or change your account information, and see your purchase history.
1. In the Music app  on your Mac, choose Account > Sign In.
2. If you already signed in to Podcasts or the Apple TV app, you’re automatically signed in to Music.
3. Do one of the following:
- Sign in with your Apple ID: Enter your Apple ID and password, then click Next.

Learn more here: Set up and view an iTunes Store account in Music on Mac

After you're signed in, you can download your purchases with these steps:

Download previous purchases to an authorized computer
1. In the Music app  on your Mac, make sure you authorized your computer to play iTunes Store purchases.
2. Click iTunes Store in the sidebar.
3. If you don’t see iTunes Store in the sidebar, choose Music > Preferences, click General, make sure iTunes Store is selected, then click OK.
4. Click Purchased (below Music Quick Links) on the right side of the iTunes Store window.
5. Purchases available for download are displayed. You can view all of your past purchases or just the ones not currently in your music library. Items already in your library aren’t available for download.
6. You can view your purchases by song, artist, or album. If you view by album, click an album to see which songs are available to download.
7. To search for an item, type its name or a keyword in the search field, then press the Return key.
8. To download an item, click its Download button .

You'll find these steps in this support article: Download previous iTunes Store purchases in Music on Mac

Cheers!

How do I restore my iTunes library OS Catalina?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.