Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot get Prodmedia 2.1 THX Klipsch external speakers to work with iMac 2015

Hello! I saw there was a similar issue that was asked in 2007. I have the subject speakers that I am trying to connect to my late 2015 iMac. The only port in the back on this iMac is for the headphones. I plugged the jack into that port, made sure all my other connections were correct. Going through System Preferences/Sounds/Output, the speakers show up as "Digital Out" (Optical digital-out port). It does not have output controls because those are manually controlled on the one speaker with knobs. I get no sound. I tried my headphones in that same port, and my headphones work fine. Is there something else I am missing?

Thanks for the help!

iMac 27″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jul 12, 2022 3:21 PM

4 replies

Jul 12, 2022 3:36 PM in response to CrymsonGlory

Give this a try: boot into Safe Mode according to How to use safe mode on your Mac and test to see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3 - 5 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

Jul 23, 2022 8:18 AM in response to Old Toad

Thanks Old Toad for replying. After posting this question, I kept looking this issue up and found on the company's forum (where I bought the speakers from) had a person on their with the same exact issue. Someone from Apple Support informed them of that the curved backs of the late 2015 and 2016 iMacs kept the speaker jack from completely being inserted into the port. Their solution was to get an adapter. I did that, and the issue was resolved. I think the speaker jack itself was the issue. I tried other things into that same port, and those jacks were not an issue. I informed the company where I bough the speakers that the jack may be slightly longer than most other 3.5 jacks.

But, thank you for your reply!

Cannot get Prodmedia 2.1 THX Klipsch external speakers to work with iMac 2015

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.