Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When re downloading an app it asks for verification and then ask me to check my billing information

When re downloading an app it asks for verification and then ask me to check my billing information. Why?

iPhone 13 Pro Max, iOS 15

Posted on Jul 12, 2022 7:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 12, 2022 7:49 PM

The “Verification Required” message on iOS is a result of the payment method used on the Apple ID associated with the device, whether being used for the download at hand or not. Accordingly, you will see that Verification Required billing message if a payment method failed, if there’s an unpaid balance on the account, or if the device has never purchased or downloaded anything or any free app before, or if the payment method simply has not been updated as needed/simply needs to be updated again. Thus, to stop the Verification Required message, in iOS, you will need to change the payment method again, either to a valid payment method, or to ‘none’ which allows no payment details to be associated with an Apple ID and App Store.

I also recommend you follow the below steps to check if any outstanding balances are listed on your account:

1. Open the “Settings” app in iOS, then go to ‘iTunes & App Store’ and then select your Apple ID
  2. Choose “View Apple ID” to access the Account Settings page
  3. In the Account Settings section, go to “Purchase History” and scroll through the list to find any item with an outstanding balance – this is what must be paid before you can change your payment information
  4. Update your payment information as detailed below to stop the “Verification Required” error message on the iPhone or iPad
  5. In the Account Settings section, tap on “Payment Information”
  6. Under ‘Payment Method’, choose “None” – or, alternatively, update the payment method *
  7. Tap on “Done” when finished adjusting your settings
  8. Exit Settings, and return to the App Store of iOS where you are now able to freely download, install, and update apps without seeing any “Verification Required” message
1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 12, 2022 7:49 PM in response to Toriii93

The “Verification Required” message on iOS is a result of the payment method used on the Apple ID associated with the device, whether being used for the download at hand or not. Accordingly, you will see that Verification Required billing message if a payment method failed, if there’s an unpaid balance on the account, or if the device has never purchased or downloaded anything or any free app before, or if the payment method simply has not been updated as needed/simply needs to be updated again. Thus, to stop the Verification Required message, in iOS, you will need to change the payment method again, either to a valid payment method, or to ‘none’ which allows no payment details to be associated with an Apple ID and App Store.

I also recommend you follow the below steps to check if any outstanding balances are listed on your account:

1. Open the “Settings” app in iOS, then go to ‘iTunes & App Store’ and then select your Apple ID
  2. Choose “View Apple ID” to access the Account Settings page
  3. In the Account Settings section, go to “Purchase History” and scroll through the list to find any item with an outstanding balance – this is what must be paid before you can change your payment information
  4. Update your payment information as detailed below to stop the “Verification Required” error message on the iPhone or iPad
  5. In the Account Settings section, tap on “Payment Information”
  6. Under ‘Payment Method’, choose “None” – or, alternatively, update the payment method *
  7. Tap on “Done” when finished adjusting your settings
  8. Exit Settings, and return to the App Store of iOS where you are now able to freely download, install, and update apps without seeing any “Verification Required” message

When re downloading an app it asks for verification and then ask me to check my billing information

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.