Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Movie version of Keynote file - adjusting display times

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015) MacOS High Sierra. Keynote v.9.1

A colleague and I recently gave a presentation, which included a Keynote slideshow.

I separately filmed us speaking - but the slideshow was not part of the video recording. (not practical to do).

Each Keynote slide needed to be up for a different duration.

Some of the slides had “builds” (is this the right word?) and their durations also varied, depending on how long the information was referenced in the talk.

I want to create a movie of the talk - with the slides - where the focus is mainly on the slides, including an inserted frame (I don’t know the correct terminology) showing the speakers - ideally, occasionally expanding to take up the full picture.

In the real world of the presentation there were inevitable hesitations and a couple of “blips” in the speech.  I have gone through the video of the speech with iMovie and deleted these issues as far as possible and added transitions to conceal the jump.

However, the movie I’ve created for the Keynote slideshow (exported from Keynote) sets every transition for the same duration - and likewise for the builds.  It does not seem to permit any alternative.

This doesn’t fit with the timing of the speech movie!

I would like to organise the movie version of the keynote file to fit in (time-wise) to the pace of the movie of the speech - so that the slides coordinate with it.

Has anyone got any suggestions? I’m by no means an expert in working computers of any type, so my skills are limited. Any assistance will be sincerely appreciated!

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Jul 13, 2022 12:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 14, 2022 4:32 AM

Use a Recorded Slideshow to have individual timing on each slide:

1. duplicate the Keynote file
  2. in the duplicate Keynote file, select all the slides in the Navigator: Edit > Select All [the Navigator is the sidebar on the left]
  3. go to the Animate tab in the Inspector; in the Start Transition dropdown menu, select: on click
  4. go to Play > Record Slideshow; see this Apple guide showing how to create a Recorded Slideshow: Record Keynote presentations on Mac – Apple Support (UK)
  5. when the recorded slideshow is completed, go to File > Export > Movie and select Slideshow Recording in the Playback dropdown menu:

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 14, 2022 4:32 AM in response to Hoonose

Use a Recorded Slideshow to have individual timing on each slide:

1. duplicate the Keynote file
  2. in the duplicate Keynote file, select all the slides in the Navigator: Edit > Select All [the Navigator is the sidebar on the left]
  3. go to the Animate tab in the Inspector; in the Start Transition dropdown menu, select: on click
  4. go to Play > Record Slideshow; see this Apple guide showing how to create a Recorded Slideshow: Record Keynote presentations on Mac – Apple Support (UK)
  5. when the recorded slideshow is completed, go to File > Export > Movie and select Slideshow Recording in the Playback dropdown menu:

Movie version of Keynote file - adjusting display times

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.