Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Purchasing apple products from other stores/ online besides iStore

Is Takealot an authorised Apple reseller?

URU7100,

Posted on Jul 13, 2022 2:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 13, 2022 5:28 PM

Hi zilu11,

No matter where you decide to purchase Apple products, make sure that they are brand new and unopened. This ensures that they aren't bricked by Activation Lock.

If you must purchase a used device, only the official Apple Store's Refurbished section is completely safe.

7 replies

Jul 13, 2022 6:38 PM in response to zilu11

Well, Amazon itself is an authorized Apple reseller, but it also has a huge "marketplace" where anyone can sell their stuff. So, I have no clue about Takealot - it could be new or used or not properly prepared for sale. Personally, I would not trust any place that did not post specific information. I checked one item:

https://www.takealot.com/apple-macbook-pro-16-inch-apple-m1/PLID73507013

It says 1 year mfr limited warranty. Well, that is almost over - the description says October 2021 for that item. Apple starts the warranty when they first ship to the first owner/retailer, so the warranty on this one will expire in October.

Jul 13, 2022 9:31 PM in response to zilu11

You didn't say what country you're located in? The retailers you named seem to be based in South Africa, but that's just a guess based on a bit of research. iStore is a large international retailer with a presence in several countries, and possibly a name that is used by a variety of unrelated retailers in different countries selling primarily Apple products.

But assuming you're in South Africa, I couldn't find that store on Apple's list of resellers in South Africa. However, there are many retailers besides iStore that sell Macs.

Purchasing apple products from other stores/ online besides iStore

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.