You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

5.1 surround sound from MacBook Air

How to get 6ch output from macbook air m1 using HDMI-HDMI AUDIO CONVERTER? I am using an USB C to HDMI adaptor to connect the HDMI cable thorough HDMI-HDMI audio converter to Sony HT-S20R sound bar. I am trying to play dolby sound from MacBook M1 through the Sony HT-S20R. For that I need to ensure the 6 channels found in the Audio MIDI setup. But only 2 channels are found in that. Please anyone suggest to get the dolby audio from MacBook Air m1.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.4

Posted on Jul 14, 2022 4:17 AM

Similar questions

6 replies

Jul 15, 2022 10:37 AM in response to SAILU571

Hi SAILU571,

If you'd like to know more about using more than two channels in Audio MIDI Setup on Mac, these steps might help. 

What happens when you attempt the steps below?

1. In the Audio MIDI Setup app  on your Mac, select an audio output device in the list, then click Configure Speakers.

If your output device has multiple streams, they’re listed at the top of the window.
To change how you view the speaker configuration, click View, then choose a view. For Isometric or Side view, you can drag the 3D view to rotate it 360 degrees.

2. Click the Configuration pop-up menu, then choose a configuration, such as Stereo or 5.1 Surround.
If you have five front speakers and two rear speakers, choose 7.1 Surround. If you have three front speakers and four rear speakers, choose 7.1 Rear Surround.

3. For each speaker in the list, click the Channel pop-up menu, then choose a channel to assign to the speaker.
You can click a speaker in the 3D view to highlight it in the list.
Tip: If your output device has multiple streams offering multiple channels, it may be difficult to find the channel you want in the pop-up menu. At the top of the window, you can deselect the checkbox for each stream you don’t want to use, so their channels aren’t shown in the pop-up menu.

The information above is from Set up external speakers for stereo or surround sound in Audio MIDI Setup on Mac. If you get the "Configure Speakers" option then continue with the rest of the steps in the link to finish setting up speaker to channel assignments. 

We hope that helps with your question and take care!

Jul 15, 2022 9:39 AM in response to Lissy_12

Thanks for the reply, the problem is I have a 5.1 surround speaker that’s not detected as 6ch speakers but as 2ch speakers. I have connected the Sony HT-S20R system to the mac through HDMI Adapter and HDMI- HDMI Audio converter (HDMI I/P - Toslink O/p) please give a solution to detect this sony sound system as 6ch speakers setup in Audio MIDI setup.

5.1 surround sound from MacBook Air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.