Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Migration Assistance

I have a Time Machine usb backup from macOS Catalina, will I be able to use it to transfer everything with Migration Assistance on macOS Monterey machine? I tried running it on new macbook but it was not seeing the drive.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.4

Posted on Jul 14, 2022 5:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 14, 2022 7:54 AM

maxxmc wrote:

I have a Time Machine usb backup from macOS Catalina, will I be able to use it to transfer everything with Migration Assistance on macOS Monterey machine? I tried running it on new macbook but it was not seeing the drive.

If the drive is not working that sounds like a problem...

trouble free way to move to a new machine, is using the Setup Assistant on the initial boot of a brand new machine— you have one shot here. Set up your MacBook Pro - Apple Support

The second best way is use the Migration Assistant.

How to move your content to a new Mac Move your content to a new Mac - Apple Support

restore items backed up with Time Machine

Restore items backed up with Time Machine on Mac - Apple Support

Restore items backed up with Time Machine on Mac - Apple ...

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 14, 2022 7:54 AM in response to maxxmc

maxxmc wrote:

If the drive is not working that sounds like a problem...

trouble free way to move to a new machine, is using the Setup Assistant on the initial boot of a brand new machine— you have one shot here. Set up your MacBook Pro - Apple Support

The second best way is use the Migration Assistant.

How to move your content to a new Mac Move your content to a new Mac - Apple Support

restore items backed up with Time Machine

Restore items backed up with Time Machine on Mac - Apple Support

Restore items backed up with Time Machine on Mac - Apple ...

Jul 14, 2022 8:13 AM in response to maxxmc

All the below is IMHO

If the new computer is going to be the Apple Silicon M1 / M2 Equipped Computer - would suggest Only Migrating the User Account and nothing more.

Some have had success and others have been left with a mess when Migrating everything.

1 - Apple Silicon with Monterey macOS 12 Only Support everything 64 bit and there is no workaround.

2 - Issues that may exist on the older computer will be migrated to the New Computer. This would badly pollute the new Original and Pristine installation of the new OS.

3 -  Applications, extensions and Software Drivers may or may not even work on the new computer.

4 - IMHO - it would be best to only install new application etc Directly from the Developer or the Apple Apps Store.

5 - Due Diligence on New Applications and make sure they are Monterey / Big Sur compatible and factor in the ARMs CPU of the Apple Silicon Computer  

Migration Assistance

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.