Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I add an unsupported language to my iPhone?

I have and iPhone 13 (just switched from android) and I was wanting to add a language input option as well as an iPhone language to my iPhone. The language in question is Afrikaans and while I can see there is an option to add Afrikaans as a language to my phone, it is a secondary language and even if I move it to the top of the list, IOS still gives me a prompt saying that the phone will stay in English but apps that support Afrikaans will change to Afrikaans. Additionally there is no option to add Afrikaans as an input source when typing. This is especially irritating not because the script is different, Afrikaans also uses the latin script, but its frustrating because when I type on my English keyboard, in Afrikaans, the English spellcheck kicks in and makes it nearly impossible to type in Afrikaans.

Is there a way to load a language onto my iPhone? Both as a main language (to change the language IOS displays everything in) but most importantly to change the input language and spell check when typing. (I want to try and avoid using a 3rd party keyboard application as I really like the stock IOS keyboard, both aesthetically and functionally.

Thank you all so much in advance!

Posted on Jul 14, 2022 7:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 14, 2022 11:12 AM

liamJmic wrote:

Is there a way to load a language onto my iPhone? Both as a main language (to change the language IOS displays everything in) but most importantly to change the input language and spell check when typing. (I want to try and avoid using a 3rd party keyboard application as I really like the stock IOS keyboard, both aesthetically and functionally.

There is no way to add an interface language.

You can add screen keyboards, but only from the App Store. Check the Keyman app. Hardware layouts are not possible.

To ask Apple to add the features you want, go to

http://www.apple.com/feedback

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 14, 2022 11:12 AM in response to liamJmic

liamJmic wrote:

There is no way to add an interface language.

You can add screen keyboards, but only from the App Store. Check the Keyman app. Hardware layouts are not possible.

To ask Apple to add the features you want, go to

http://www.apple.com/feedback

How can I add an unsupported language to my iPhone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.