Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac will not boot up after shut down and unplugging

Hello,

I have a Apple iMac (Retina 5K, 27-Inch, 2017) and I had to shut it down and unplug it today.

It will not turn back on any help would be amazing.

Many thanks

Posted on Jul 14, 2022 9:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 15, 2022 11:34 AM

Hey punkandchicken,

That was a really good step to try, resetting the SMC. Have you tried holding down the power button for no less than 10 seconds? That's another good step you can give a try.

If the iMac still doesn't power on, you will want to contact Apple Support by going to Get Support

Good luck!

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 15, 2022 11:34 AM in response to punkandchicken

Hey punkandchicken,

That was a really good step to try, resetting the SMC. Have you tried holding down the power button for no less than 10 seconds? That's another good step you can give a try.

If the iMac still doesn't power on, you will want to contact Apple Support by going to Get Support

Good luck!

Jul 15, 2022 11:51 AM in response to punkandchicken

Have you previously unplugged and plugged it back in and successfully booted? If so it's very well be a failing/failed power supply. I had the same issue with a 2015 iMac a few years ago.

If following Dorain1's recommendations you're still unable to boot definitely contact Apple support for a free diagnostic test of your Mac. Note: Apple will want to erase the drive and install a new, pristine system to verify it's hardware related and not software related. So make sure you have a full and current backup of your boot drive before taking it into Apple.

iMac will not boot up after shut down and unplugging

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.