Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I cannot update my apps because it says it not the write Apple ID

I cannot update my apps it saying my Apple ID is incorrect

Posted on Jul 14, 2022 2:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 14, 2022 9:30 PM

An app is forever tied to the Apple ID that acquired it -

A Mac App Store app is forever tied to the Apple ID used to acquire it (paid or free). The Apple ID is encoded into the licensed copy that is downloaded. It is in the copy's DNA. That is the only Apple ID that can redownload or update the app. If you cannot reclaim the old Apple ID, you will need to reacquire the app with your new Apple ID. That means repurchasing paid apps.

M1 Mac mini, macOS 12.4; Watch, series 5 GPS/cellular, watchOS 8.6; iPad Pro 2nd Gen, iPadOS 15.5; iPhone 12 Pro, iOS 15.5; TV 4th Gen, tvOS 15.5; HomePods, audioOS 15.5 and Airport Express w/ Airplay 2

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 14, 2022 9:30 PM in response to nokulungafromdurban

An app is forever tied to the Apple ID that acquired it -

A Mac App Store app is forever tied to the Apple ID used to acquire it (paid or free). The Apple ID is encoded into the licensed copy that is downloaded. It is in the copy's DNA. That is the only Apple ID that can redownload or update the app. If you cannot reclaim the old Apple ID, you will need to reacquire the app with your new Apple ID. That means repurchasing paid apps.

M1 Mac mini, macOS 12.4; Watch, series 5 GPS/cellular, watchOS 8.6; iPad Pro 2nd Gen, iPadOS 15.5; iPhone 12 Pro, iOS 15.5; TV 4th Gen, tvOS 15.5; HomePods, audioOS 15.5 and Airport Express w/ Airplay 2

I cannot update my apps because it says it not the write Apple ID

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.