Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad Mini Gen 1 iOS 9.3.5 I need safari to use HTTP

iPad Mini Gen 1 iOS 9.3.5

I need it for a very specific dedicated purpose

all I need it to do is connect to an HTTP server on my local network for some power monitoring

security is NOT an issue

I have spent the better part of 2 hours searching for the answer to how to get

SAFARI to stop forcing HTTPS when all I want is HTTP

hep me pweez

Posted on Jul 14, 2022 4:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 16, 2022 8:24 AM

Hey there, kholmar,

The web site you are trying to visit, not the web browser you're using, determines whether or not the HTTPS (secure) site is loaded, versus HTTP. If this is a server on your home network, we can suggest looking at its settings.

We can also provide some general Safari troubleshooting if you're having difficulty loading specific web addresses. Check out the following resources:

If Safari isn't loading websites or quits on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

If Safari can't open the page because too many redirects occurred - Apple Support

Best!

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 16, 2022 8:24 AM in response to kholmar

Hey there, kholmar,

The web site you are trying to visit, not the web browser you're using, determines whether or not the HTTPS (secure) site is loaded, versus HTTP. If this is a server on your home network, we can suggest looking at its settings.

We can also provide some general Safari troubleshooting if you're having difficulty loading specific web addresses. Check out the following resources:

If Safari isn't loading websites or quits on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

If Safari can't open the page because too many redirects occurred - Apple Support

Best!

Jul 16, 2022 10:57 AM in response to Lindsay_B.

in that case, why can't any browser I am able to install on my Gen 1 iPad mini establish a secure connection to it?

is the Gen 1 iPad mini simply incapable of running any browser that can handle current levels of HTTPS encryption?

thanks for the answer!

ps, I am unable to change the server settings, it is on a piece of equipment I do not have that level of access to.

if I need to put the Gen 1 iPad mini in the trash, I can live with that, I only paid $25 for it for this specific application.

I am currently using a more modern iPad for it but it's to be a permanent monitor for a thing and I want that iPad back, lol.

thanks again

iPad Mini Gen 1 iOS 9.3.5 I need safari to use HTTP

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.