Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad phone line

Why do I have to get a phone line for my iPad? I link my iPad to my iPhone. What is the purpose for the iPad to have its own phone line?

iPad, iPadOS 14

Posted on Jul 14, 2022 8:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 14, 2022 9:03 PM

That number is how the carrier identifies your cellular data plan. You’re not getting a telephone line that you can make or receive calls—iPad cannot itself make or receive calls, save indirectly via Continuity and an iPhone associated with the same Apple ID—you’re getting a number assigned by the carrier that can be used to identify and track and bill a network-connected device.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 14, 2022 9:03 PM in response to RnrSusieQ

That number is how the carrier identifies your cellular data plan. You’re not getting a telephone line that you can make or receive calls—iPad cannot itself make or receive calls, save indirectly via Continuity and an iPhone associated with the same Apple ID—you’re getting a number assigned by the carrier that can be used to identify and track and bill a network-connected device.

Jul 14, 2022 8:51 PM in response to RnrSusieQ

RnrSusieQ Said:

"iPad phone line: Why do I have to get a phone line for my iPad? I link my iPad to my iPhone. What is the purpose for the iPad to have its own phone line?"

-------

About Phone Numbers and iPads:

Your iPhone is being accessed --the iPad has no number. And the purpose of that is for interoperability between the two when it comes to call use (i.e. Zoom meetings), when you need to access particular data on your tablet. Doing so, you wouldn't have to look aside at your iPad while on the call on your iPhone.

iPad phone line

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.