Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it ok to keep your MacBook connected to charge for 8-10 hours a day?

I have a 2020 M1 MacBook Pro. I recently purchased a 27 inch LG Monitor (LG 27UL850). The monitor connects to my MacBook via USB C, but is constantly charging the MacBook too. I am usually at work for 10 hours a day and keep the monitor connected. There doesn't seem to be any option to cut the power or turn off charging while keeping the display connected through USB C. Is it alright to keep the MacBook connected to power for such long periods daily when it is already charged 100%? Will it affect my MacBook battery adversely?

MacBook Pro Apple Silicon

Posted on Jul 14, 2022 11:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 15, 2022 7:49 AM

No. Power management stops charging the battery when it reaches a set point where it's considered "full". It simply won't overcharge unless there's a malfunction. It's frankly better because the primary cause of loss of battery capacity is from charging and discharging the battery. Keeping it connected to power will reduce how much the battery is used.

If it's always connected to sufficient external power, what it will do is slowly drop in charge level, and then it charges for a short period to the set "100%" point and stop. Then the cycle continues with these short discharge cycles.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 15, 2022 7:49 AM in response to curiousapple160

No. Power management stops charging the battery when it reaches a set point where it's considered "full". It simply won't overcharge unless there's a malfunction. It's frankly better because the primary cause of loss of battery capacity is from charging and discharging the battery. Keeping it connected to power will reduce how much the battery is used.

If it's always connected to sufficient external power, what it will do is slowly drop in charge level, and then it charges for a short period to the set "100%" point and stop. Then the cycle continues with these short discharge cycles.

Jul 15, 2022 8:02 AM in response to curiousapple160

Battery Management in MacOS takes care of that for you. If you are frequently connected to power (as I am), you'll soon find that your Mac will pause charging with the battery at 80% full.

If you have System Preferences > Battery > Battery tab set to show the battery status in the menu bar, and you click on the menu bar, you'll see this:

If you know you'll be going remote and want to start with a full battery, you can select the option to Charge to Full Now.

Jul 14, 2022 11:25 PM in response to curiousapple160

curiousapple160 Said:

"Is it ok to keep your MacBook connected to charge for 8-10 hours a day?: I have a 2020 M1 MacBook Pro. I recently purchased a 27 inch LG Monitor (LG 27UL850). The monitor connects to my MacBook via USB C, but is constantly charging the MacBook too. I am usually at work for 10 hours a day and keep the monitor connected.[...]"

-------

Based on Personal Experience:

It is fine. Just know that all batteries are prone to failure. So, the longer it is kept on, the quicker it would lead to failure. As for leaving it on, (A.)use a laptop cooler beneath the laptop; (B.)keep it out of direct sunlight; and (C.) don't use it in a consolidated space (an enclosed room with the doors shut).

Is it ok to keep your MacBook connected to charge for 8-10 hours a day?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.