Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac is ejecting external drives randomly

There seem to have been threads about this in the past, now closed, but not resolved.

My 2020 27" iMac on OS 12.4 has been ejecting my LaCie drive seemingly randomly and frequently for many months, where one drive is used for TM.

Recently my external Samsung SSD has suddenly started to do the same!

Both use thunderbolt connections, and both seem to eject at the same time, flagging up as messages that they were not ejected properly - annoying since I didn't want them to.

My energy settings don't seem to be an issue.

Anyone else still suffering this annoyance?

Posted on Jul 15, 2022 5:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 15, 2022 8:45 AM

Be sure you check the box to never put drive to sleep when display is off in energy saver pane and test

Similar questions

6 replies

Jul 16, 2022 5:21 AM in response to SteveOnPeas

If they are both going off at the same time I would suspect

cable(s)

if attached to a dock, the dock or dock cable to the Mac.

USB-C connector’s physical connection to the Mac. I’ve seen them become loose and not hold well.

Power. Put everything on an Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS). I had a co-worker that kept loosing network connections. Put the modem and router on a UPS and the problem stopped, but every so often the UPS would beep that it had lost power. Turns out there was a bad household wall outlet.

Mac is ejecting external drives randomly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.