Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macOS Monterey – The operation can’t be completed because you don’t have the necessary permission.

Issue: Cannot add to/delete files on external jump drives

I recently purchased an iMac M1 running macOS 10.6 Monterey, restoring my files with Time Machine.

At first my external jump drives worked as expected, allowing me to add to/delete files without issue; e.g. Music library, TV library, etc. Unfortunately and without explanation, all external jump drives are now "read-only."

I can still 'use' these jump drives as-is but cannot add to/delete files and none of the online troubleshooting found have worked. NOTE: Does Monterey NOT allow users to "Ignore ownership on this volume" anymore?

Suggestions, ideas and options are much appreciated.

iMac

Posted on Jul 15, 2022 5:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 15, 2022 7:08 AM

A 1 - As perviously mentioned the NTFS Drive Format is Not Native to macOS and will required Third Party Software to allow this Read and Write function

A 2 - But this now requires clarifications as the user states " jump drives worked as expected, allowing me to add to/delete files without issue.

A 3 - Predicated on above A 1 - How was this done ? On what computer ? Windows computer ?

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 15, 2022 7:08 AM in response to zenyattamondatta

A 1 - As perviously mentioned the NTFS Drive Format is Not Native to macOS and will required Third Party Software to allow this Read and Write function

A 2 - But this now requires clarifications as the user states " jump drives worked as expected, allowing me to add to/delete files without issue.

A 3 - Predicated on above A 1 - How was this done ? On what computer ? Windows computer ?

macOS Monterey – The operation can’t be completed because you don’t have the necessary permission.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.