Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time machine cannot backup after initial backup on samsung T7

I'm running macOS 10.14.6. I successfully backed up using time machine to my Samsung SSD T7 five months ago but I cannot backup to it when I tried using time machine now.

I get the "preparing backup" stage but then time machine stops the backup. When I check my hard drive, I do get updated .inProgress file.

I have already tried to delete the .inProgress file and restart but it fails every time. The .inProgress file is less than 1 MB when it fails.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jul 15, 2022 8:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 15, 2022 3:39 PM

Start with this..

Safe Boot, (holding Shift key down at startup), does the problem occur in Safe Mode? Could take 10 minutes or more.

Safe mode attempts to repair Disks & clears lots of caches & loads safe Drivers, & prevents loading of 3rd party extensions, so if Safe Mode works try again in regular boot.

9 replies

Jul 16, 2022 6:57 AM in response to preparation_grape

Q - " I 'm running macOS 10.14.6. I successfully backed up using time machine to my Samsung SSD T7 five months ago but I cannot backup to it when I tried using time machine now. "

A - This issue might be, TM Backup Utility is Processing 5 Months of Snap Shot before it can actually Transfer the 5 Months of Snap Shots to the Samsung T7 SSD

To speed up this process consider via below link >>

How to delete Time Machine snapshots on your Mac

Aug 10, 2022 3:38 PM in response to preparation_grape

Have you tried Disk Utility (Applications/Utilities folder) to check the health of the SSD? It might need some first aid. Do you have another external drive that you can also use for Time Machine?

Note that Time Machine will happily use several external drives for backups and alternate between them.

In any case there is mixed advice about leaving SSDs unplugged for several months. Some say they should be powered up from time to time.

Time machine cannot backup after initial backup on samsung T7

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.