Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have an older iPad that I want to use Kindle on but it says Kindle is not compatible. Is there a work-around for this?

I have an older iPad that I want to use Kindle on but it says Kindle is not compatible. Is there a work-around for this?

iPad, iOS 9

Posted on Jul 15, 2022 2:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 15, 2022 3:28 PM

The currently available Kindle App requires iOS/iPadOS14 or later. If you have an older model iPad with an earlier version of iOS installed - and have not previously installed an earlier version of the Kindle App, you’ll be unable to install the current App.

Given that your iPad cannot itself be updated to a iPadOS14/15, if you need the Kindle App, you’ll have no alternative than to replace your iPad with a much newer model.

Whether or not you are able to update any iPad to a newer version of iOS/iPadOS will be dictated by the iPad model - and the currently installed version of iOS. You can find this information here:

Settings > General > About

Not sure which iPad you have? Identify your iPad model.

Here is a list of the highest version of iOS supported by the older models of iPad (for simplicity - “generations” are shortened to a number) that are restricted in their ability to be updated:

iPad1 - iOS 5.1.1

iPad2, iPad3 and iPad mini1 - iOS 9.3.5 (WiFi Only models), iOS 9.3.6 (WiFi & Cellular)

iPad4 - iOS 10.3.3 (WiFi Only), iOS 10.3.4 (WiFi & Cellular)

iPad Air1, iPad mini2 and iPad mini3 - iOS 12.5.5

Newer models, not appearing in this list, are all able to be updated to the current version, iPadOS 15.5

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 15, 2022 3:28 PM in response to PTAnewgradmom

The currently available Kindle App requires iOS/iPadOS14 or later. If you have an older model iPad with an earlier version of iOS installed - and have not previously installed an earlier version of the Kindle App, you’ll be unable to install the current App.

Given that your iPad cannot itself be updated to a iPadOS14/15, if you need the Kindle App, you’ll have no alternative than to replace your iPad with a much newer model.

Whether or not you are able to update any iPad to a newer version of iOS/iPadOS will be dictated by the iPad model - and the currently installed version of iOS. You can find this information here:

Settings > General > About

Not sure which iPad you have? Identify your iPad model.

Here is a list of the highest version of iOS supported by the older models of iPad (for simplicity - “generations” are shortened to a number) that are restricted in their ability to be updated:

iPad1 - iOS 5.1.1

iPad2, iPad3 and iPad mini1 - iOS 9.3.5 (WiFi Only models), iOS 9.3.6 (WiFi & Cellular)

iPad4 - iOS 10.3.3 (WiFi Only), iOS 10.3.4 (WiFi & Cellular)

iPad Air1, iPad mini2 and iPad mini3 - iOS 12.5.5

Newer models, not appearing in this list, are all able to be updated to the current version, iPadOS 15.5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.