Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes resets to the default library location

Hello:

I need the iTunes media folder to be located on a USB external hard drive rather than the "C" drive because it takes up too much space but each time I set the location of the library, iTunes moves it back to the default "C" drive location on restart. I can't install iTunes on this pc unless I can keep this from happening. I'm running Windows 11 64-bit.

Thank you,

Bill Ferguson

Posted on Jul 15, 2022 7:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 16, 2022 11:40 AM

There is a bug that appears to affect some users running anything later than iTunes 12.9.3.3 (I think) where a change to the media folder location isn't captured properly and the path will reset next time the app is launched. See Make a split library portable - Apple Community to put your library in a shape which uses the default media path with respect to the library file (i.e. a folder called iTunes Media in the folder with the .itl file) so that this particular bug doesn't impact your library any more.

Exactly which steps need to be taken to reach the end point depends on the starting conditions. Assuming you want to use drive D: for your library then it may be best to copy your library files into D:\iTunes, access them there, reset the media folder to D:\iTunes\iTunes Media, then consolidate, and finally clean up the originals stored elsewhere. It depends if there is temporarily enough space to duplicate the entire media folder.

tt2

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 16, 2022 11:40 AM in response to its_a_1202

There is a bug that appears to affect some users running anything later than iTunes 12.9.3.3 (I think) where a change to the media folder location isn't captured properly and the path will reset next time the app is launched. See Make a split library portable - Apple Community to put your library in a shape which uses the default media path with respect to the library file (i.e. a folder called iTunes Media in the folder with the .itl file) so that this particular bug doesn't impact your library any more.

Exactly which steps need to be taken to reach the end point depends on the starting conditions. Assuming you want to use drive D: for your library then it may be best to copy your library files into D:\iTunes, access them there, reset the media folder to D:\iTunes\iTunes Media, then consolidate, and finally clean up the originals stored elsewhere. It depends if there is temporarily enough space to duplicate the entire media folder.

tt2

Jul 17, 2022 4:47 PM in response to turingtest2

Your description of the problem is correct. iTunes copies the entire media folder that I have on an external drive, to the C: drive before allowing the iTunes media folder to be moved from default location C. The bottom line result: no iTunes on new pc with 256 SSD with 4TB internal HD and 4TB USB EXT HD. I have been loyal to iTunes and have a large iTunes media folder. Why wouldn't they fix this?

Jul 21, 2022 5:43 PM in response to its_a_1202

I don't know why Apple don't make this easier, but that notwithstanding it is possible to get the entire library stored on your preferred drive. It is also possible to shift backup data to a drive with more free space if required. The user should give you all the tools you need, but if you let me know what data is stored where I can walk you through the process.

tt2

iTunes resets to the default library location

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.